IDI Repower Options

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A common option is to buy another motor, or a truck to get a motor. For example, I built my Bronco from a $600 tree-crushed F-350. I put $400 into the trans, and that was about it. My IDI converted Bronco was done for about $1000. Two years later, I'm still driving it, and it hasn't needed a thing. I have no idea how many miles are on the donor engine. Probably a lot. Compared to a 10K Cummins conversion, I'd say that extra 9 grand buys a lot more testosterone than a 5.9 does. Took me less time to put the truck together than it did to get the paper work done for Penn DOT. If you can swap engines, and don't mind doing it when one wears out or gets too expensive to run, you can go the cheap route just as easy, and avoid the buyers remorce issue like Towcat and Exiekiel had.

dsherod

Reaction score
I'm so glad I asked this question here. Thanks for all of the replies. I have considered the "organ donor program", but 'til now thought given that I would likely spend 2 grand for a good donor, that a new motor was 4 grand that it was worth it to not take the risk. Now, it sounds like a running donor is less risk than trusting a rebuilder.

I will check into Promar however. The price is right and the warranty sounds more like they stand behind the work.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I went to somewhat a doner program. bought a 6.9 from doublesdiesel on here. he got it running right on front of me to show it was good and we pulled it quick. (he did most of the work beforehand though). i have been let down to many times "expensivly" on trusting the works that "it was fine, or just had it running and its fine." now i assume its scrape metal unless i can see it myself. got a running engine from him for $500, a much better budget than you were guessing.

Gotta-B-Ford

BOOTLEGGER
Reaction score
PROMAR

:hail Just put one of there long blocks in and it runs super,smooth as silk!!Ordered it on Monday told them i needed it by next weekend,they shipped the same week thurs. and i had it in fla on the following monday sitting in my garage at home.All 8 cyl. bored and sleeved looked great,full gasket set and shipping to and from promar included $3399 and that is for a turbo block i think the 6.9 is $3099or $3199. i'm no master mech. and also wanted everything to be cleaned really well and torqued, after working all week and no time to work on that it took 2 weekends.:thumbsup:

rthomas

Reaction score
i have a 7.3 idi with low miles on a rebuild (50k) that i probabley have no use for, pm if you interested-russ

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey dsherod, u live in mira mesa done you? I saw your truck on craigslist and was oo soo jealous of it. I was wondering if sometime we could meet up, i dont know what an IDI is suppose to run like or look like under the hood, and i guess yours is a good comparison?

dsherod

Reaction score
I guess it's time to activate the LowJack :)

funnyman06, turn on PM if you want to be contacted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online