idi involvement in katrina...

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
Hey guys, i might be hauling a camper trailer with the old girl down south,a place around here called durnells is paying people to take campers down for people with no place to go. going to find out the details tomarrow. I have been hearing on the radio every 10 min or so that they need "anyone with a pickup truck willing to haul is needed right away!!" cnat think of a better thing to do for the extended weekend. ;Sweet if nothing else it will be a weekend away.

dave85

Reaction score
Your heart....

is in the right place, but check the fuel situation. Might not be able to fuel up.
Dave

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
checked it out up here we are still ok, will fill up the bulk tank in the bed + the 38 gal rear and front 17. should be enough for now,ihope... :rolleyes:

dave85

Reaction score
I din't know......

you had that kind of capacity. Good luck and be careful. Take plenty of water and snacks.
Dave

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
ok as of tonite we are planning on going friday after work,cool thing is we can stay in the new camper at night heading down. Sarah(the wife) is giong to put a call on the local radio tomarrow to let people know that we are going to head that way and if local people want to donate stuff like water, food, hygene stuff,they can. should be a fun trip all in all. I will keep you guys updated! :thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take pictures! I've been wondering how many IDI's were lost to Katrina. Unfortunately, we have no registered BOOBs in Mississippi or Louisiana, so I speculate there must not have been very many to start with, but you know somewhere there had to be some. This is a great thing your doing.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
update:

Looks like its a go, well kind of we are going to head south to mississippi but not shure how far south they are going to let us go. Looks like the new camper is a 27footer about 6500# we are going to load it with water and stuff so i figure it will be up around 7000#.

They are paying $1.05 per mile when you have the load hooked up. Its 850miles to the far south of miss. Just going to fill up the tanks here and hopefully get 12mpg or so on the highway. Its 15hrs 1 way :eek: , but i think its worth it. Not looking to make alot of money just want enough to cover fuel and a hotel on the way back.

Now im getting excited about towing with the new turbo!!! :love:

you guys think 12mpg should be an average i can expect? :Sly

analog

Reaction score
Greenbeast6.9 said:
you guys think 12mpg should be an average i can expect? :Sly

I just bought our 5th wheel from those guys. In Lakeview. They have a website rvwholesalers.com. They were great to deal with, and it makes me glad to see them helping in this way.

I got ~8mpg towing my 5th (9,000 lbs), so 12 might be a little bit high. You are lighter, but have the C6 (as do I) which hurts.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like this is far from over for many of us. I hope Darrin doesn't mind, but it looks like IDI Involvment (or at least the Brotherhood) is increasing. They must have went so fast, Darrin had neither the time nor inclination to post this, and I hope that Lori and Darrin don't mind me post this, but I think it appropriate since Darrin is a regular here, and his absence will be noticed. This at least will explain where he is.

A note from his wife......

The Darrin and Tony have just left, will be meeting the rest at the lot by 10:00 and heading out. The rest includes our Pastor Tom, his son Ryan, our friend Corky, Scotty, Matt (who works for us) and his dad, Terry (he does mechanic work for us) and his son. FEMA is open from 7 to 7, so they wanted to get a few hours of driving in tonight (at least past Chicago!) or they would get there after it closed tomorrow and have to wait until Saturday to drop off the campers. There have been a couple of reports that there is a line at least a day long to get the campers inspected and okayed once they get there. Darrin talked with someone directly tonight and they said that the wait was very minimal...so who knows! A few of the guys are planning on staying a couple of days if they can be used as volunteers. Tom has been trained for emergency situations and is the Chaplain for the Walke r Fire Department and Police Department, so he will probably stay a few days, too. Darrin and Tony have left it open as to when they will be back. Obviously Tony will need to get back to school, but his heart is so willing to help down there that he is willing to make up any work missed.
25,000 campers are being delivered from all over the U.S. I was mistaken when I said the FEMA workers were staying in them; they are for the hurricane victims to use. They asked them not to load the campers with supplies, but is sounds like they did collect somethings to bring down. A very big need is any kind of carrying case. One of the local Pastors told Tom the people need something to put the few belongings they saved in. If anyone has any old suitcase or cloth bags, garbage bags or the like to donate International Aid might take them, as Red Cross will only take monetary donations.
That Darrin is able to do this trip has been an answer to our prayers on how we can help. He will have to tell you how God worked it all out!!
Please keep them all in your prayers,
Thanks, Lori

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online