IDI injector replacement, Copper washer stuck

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm replacimg my injectors and well 3 of the washers are stuck on the bottom quite well, how do I get these things out? I bent a couple dental picks so that's out but what are some other ideas. On another note I found my truck was running with 4 DIFERENT types of injectors, a Delphi BB, Stanadye E, G, and F, no wonder it ran like poop. Oh well brand new Ds Going in, she'll be a happy girl.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
many have had luck with a flathead screwdriver, tap it down until it has a slot in the copper and twist.
maybe a piece of cotton down the injector nozzle hole,

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a copper washer, get a flat blade screw driver big enough to just fit in the washer hole, as IDIoit said drive it in and twist. Soften any carbon with PB Blaster or. Yeah, a *** of cotton stuffed in and soaked with PB, let set overnite, it'll burn up ifm you can't pull it out. Good idea Brian.

Edit: sharpen the sides of the SD so they will bite in.

Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
What the above two posters are saying is to take a flat bladed screw driver, one which is just a hair bit larger than the copper washer, and gently tap in into the washer. If it fits through the washer, try a slightly larger size. Once it has a bite into the washer, on both sides of the screw driver, twist it, wiggle it around, to break that washer loose. The PB Blaster soaked cotton is a good idea. When you drive that screw driver in, however, be VERY careful not to damage the seat under the washer. :mad: If you damage that seat you may never get a good seal again, and you'll be VERY unhappy. :cry:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a phillips screwdriver driven into the washer to get it out. It was a #3 size I think. Gave it a tap and could twist it out.

Good luck!

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got them out, but for some reason the last line doesn't want to go into the I hector, it literally won't screw down onto it and its really making me angry.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine the other day I was able to take a flathead just wider than the hole in the copper and tap it down into the existing copper/ injector nozzle chamber and then pull back up. Washer came with it. Also, it seems the washers don't fit perfectly, so working a flat head around the sides should allow you to catch a lip and pry up.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got them out, but for some reason the last line doesn't want to go into the I hector, it literally won't screw down onto it and its really making me angry.

STOP NOW. GRAB A FROSTY BEVERAGE, OR ANY OTHER VICE YOU FALL VICTIM TO

the biggest reason people f' up injectors or "fuel pressure sensors" aka timing bulb adapter,
is because your ****** impatient.
you do not have the proper amount of light
or the realization that youre doing something incorrectly.

what you need to do is take a break, relax and walk away for a minute or two.
make sure you have proper lighting. and visualize *** you are doing wrong.

sometimes its the slightest bend of a injector line is all you need.

i believe this is a case of "youve been working on the ******* truck all day, and you just want to get it done" syndrome.

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
STOP NOW. GRAB A FROSTY BEVERAGE, OR ANY OTHER VICE YOU FALL VICTIM TO

editing...
That seems like a really good idea. The hope of seeing how much better this beast runs is still keeping me going, made me realize that the last 23 years haven't been nice to this truck, especially these injevtor lines, anyone got a secret source of unmolested nice injevtor lines?

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah this happened to me also. Cold beer is your best friend when getting impatient working on a vehicle.(obviously one can consume to many to do the work correctly) but thats not the case here. Its a battle of alignment and horrible position's to work in and high heat temps for me. Recycled 2 beers quicker than usual and it calm's the impatient urges to force something that you think will work out only to leave you 3 steps behind and more money spent that could have gone to more cold one's.
Good luck.

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buddys just so happened to bring by a couple tallboys, needless to say after that and another 30 minutes the truck is fixed and running like an absolute champ. I'm suprised it's so smoother and a completely different sound. I love it, my babygirl actually has some get up and go.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid question, but did you remove the injector line clamps?

When I have to disconnect the injector lines from the injectors, I like to remove the line clamps so the lines have a bit of give and aren't quite so rigid. Then, pull the nut up a bit and gently put pressure on the line to get the flare to sit in the fitting on the injector. BE GENTLE; you don't want to kink up the line at all. Once I do that, the nut generally goes right on, but keep the pressure on the line until you've at least got a few threads started (better to be hand-tight if possible). You might have to take a wrench to get the nut started, but make sure you aren't crossthreading the fitting.

The bad news about doing it this way is that it adds a step with the line clamps, and getting the clamps back on can be a bit of a bear...but, I promise you, it IS doable! :)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well good to read you have it running well. Sad how someone used different pop pressure injectors to "make the engine run". Sometimes those hard lines can be horrible to get started correctly. As the warden mentioned. Removing the clmps really helps ease this job but always remember to reinstall them. Running the engine without them will definitely end in a broken hard line. I left off some and sure nuff broke a hard line and what a mess that was.

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did take the clamps off but I just got those regently, the engine was running without them before, sometbing happened before I guess and the cylinder 2 hardline broke, the PO decided that instead of replacing the line (probably because it's the line on the bottom of the IP) that it would be better to just cut the steel line in the middle, put on a flare fitting, and add another piece of copper tubing that he forced into the injector, stripping the threads, so that's why I had to replace them all, I bought a new cylinder 2 line and for some reason it just didn't want to bite immediately like all the other ones, we got it there though. I'm going to replace all the lines though, literally they're all bent and rusty, a couple have cracked nuts, but hopefully that can wait until I either get a new or remained IP. I'm just so happy how smoothly it runs and how much quicker it is, not to mention the exhaust sounds completely different, actually sound mean, and I mean meaner than donkey punching your aunt at your cousins funeral....I like it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online