IDI head removal question

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Monday my 87 6.9 idi w. ATS wastegated kit was finally dropped off (was waiting 2 weeks for it) came from a buddy, same guy I picked up the TravelAll from early August. Engine is seized, Ive done quite a bit of reading.. enough to feel comfortable tearing into the engine anyways.. I will admit after class I was all too eager to tear a head off and didnt read thoroughly. I ended up removing the headbolts exactly in the Z pattern and NOT follow the numericals. Fortunately I did only 1/4 turns until I was able to remove by hand and I do not see any obvious cracks anywhere. Any change I did any harm even though there are no apparent visible cracks?

Thank you in advance, I only have the drivers side head off and all looks to be in very good shape. No cavitation and everything looks real clean. Story behind the engine is it was in a fleet truck and rebuilt recently prior to it becoming seized, its been sitting at my buddies house for years if I remember correctly and the turbo is in beautiful condition!

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also want to add push rods are nice and straight but appears 2 lifter are stuck in the up position.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
l always have heads at least hot tanked, mag'ed and deck checked. It's only $20/ head. Totally worth it.

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Cant beat that, I definitely planned to have them hot tanked I'll check some machine shops thank you. After my last post I went out and took the lifter retainer off and pulled lifters out.. everything looks good, I really need to get the other head off.. at this point Im puzzled, not sure why its seized and cant imagine I'll find anything different on the passenger side.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep disassbly is the easy part, go in there with some air and buzz it all out. It could just be stuck rings, have you seen any signs of rainwater anywhere?

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely not on the drivers side, I know it was missing 2 injectors on pass. side but engine was always in the truck, peeping down into the injector holes can't see much but doesn't look bad.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peeping as you call it, down into an injector hole, nothing to see except the precup. If the hood seal is bad or missing, there could very well be water in one of the missing injector holes cylinders. You'll find out when pulling the head. Setting for two years, if there did get water in those cylinders, that could freeze the pistons to the walls.

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doh! I thought those were piston tops. Thanks for the info, I'm very new to diesels, trucks, and v8s.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
thats why these are called IDI engines. the fuel is injected into a pre combustion chamber. the fuel is indirectly injected. IDI. now a cummins or powerstroke, fuel is injected directly into the cyl. Direct injection. DI.

lesson for today.

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Peeping as you call it, down into an injector hole, nothing to see except the precup. If the hood seal is bad or missing, there could very well be water in one of the missing injector holes cylinders. You'll find out when pulling the head. Setting for two years, if there did get water in those cylinders, that could freeze the pistons to the walls.

Pretty sure as in 99% sure she'll have to be rebuilt..

The 2 cylinders without injectors look pretty bad..

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Probably not, I'm afraid. MAYBE, POSSIBLY, you could get away with a hone job if the cylinders aren't too bad, but in my opinion, don't hold your breath. What are the numbers on the top (side toward cam) of your piston? Is it an oversize stamp? If so, how much?

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response, myself and buddy I got it from kind of thought that going in.. was just hoping not lol.

That's a wrap for this thread, lock it up! I'm going to put the engine aside and focus back on sanding and painting the truck before I rebuild it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online