IDI head removal question

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take some synthetic steel wool to it and see if there's any pitting before condemning it.

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went out and bought some marvel mystery oil tonight so I'll dump that in there for a couple days first. I did read up boring to 7.3 not the best idea so I'll check some machine shops and hopefully (fingers crossed) be able to get by with 2 new sleeves, hone, rings, bearings, and all gaskets. Thinking about selling the turbo kit to help fund that craptastrophe.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how the market is where you are but I can get a block here for cheaper than that machine work

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how the market is where you are but I can get a block here for cheaper than that machine work
I'll keep that in mind, they're difficult to find here, only found 1 at a junkyard.. 116k on it and they want 1600 for it if I remember correctly.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As I'm looking at the pics I see several things that tells me this is a 7.3 engine.Not a 6.9. I see block plugs that normally are open in a 6.9 and those pistons are 7.3 by the flame trench in them. The 6.9 has a rectangle type flame trench. Please take pics of the block serial numbers that are stamped into the drivers side front top of the block.They are next to the injection pump gear tower housing.

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I'm looking at the pics I see several things that tells me this is a 7.3 engine.Not a 6.9. I see block plugs that normally are open in a 6.9 and those pistons are 7.3 by the flame trench in them. The 6.9 has a rectangle type flame trench. Please take pics of the block serial numbers that are stamped into the drivers side front top of the block.They are next to the injection pump gear tower housing.
Will do, man I hope you're wrong though. The heads are stamped 87 but I'll check it out in a few here.

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to look it up right now but here's that pic

You must be registered for see images attach