IDI gets revenge

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ol' IDI ran like the champ she is for 750 miles to pick up the 2000 SD Dually Monday afternoon. Finished the paperwork and was telling the General Manage how dependable old faithful was.

Shook hands walked out and positioned the new truck so I could pull the IDI in behind and hook up the towbar. She started right up as always, put her in reverse, eased out the clutch, moved 2 feet and died.-cuss

Wouldn't restart so had to get the sales staff to push it. No idea yet what happened but I am suspecting the pickups in the tanks as I couldn't draw below 1/4 tanks this trip without sucking air.

Get her all hooked up to the tow bar, pull out and get back on the highway 5 miles and a horse runs across the road in front of me:eek: Slam on the brakes doing 65mph (not a good thing with a towbar dragging a 6000 lb truck) get stopped and pull over to check things out, bent one lock that I secure chains with, stretched the chains and snapped 3 or 4 small ratchet straps I use just to take up some slack so it doesn't slam back and forth when I tow with this bar.

This towbar looked like new before the trip and looks shot now after the "All American" chewed on it for 750 miles today, guess she didn't like being put on a leash and hasn't figured out the guy (an old Army buddy of mine who has a 4x4 shop and intsalled the 3.08 gears for me) who is going to buy her from me takes great care of his stuff, was talking about getting some fresh paint on her and keeps his vehicles nearly forever.

Rest of the ride went fine but it was a heck of a way to start the trip home.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did pull the driveshaft on the "all american" for the trip I hope....

Nope, The All American is a manual tranny and I've never pulled a driveshaft on a manual before to tow, only automatics....Never had a problem like this....YET:hail

ease up on firing up the lightsaber....he still owns it tonite.
Yep, got another 1 - 2 months before she'll get babied by my buddy, quite frankly I'm glad to see him get it and not some yahoo that'll trash it.;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, The All American is a manual tranny and I've never pulled a driveshaft on a manual before to tow, only automatics....Never had a problem like this....YET:hail
I got some really bad news for you. ZF's are a must. There's a bearing that seperates the main gear cluster from the input shaft that needs the motor running to see oil. Best get her fired up and see if the trans is ok. If it is, you're the first ever known.

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got some really bad news for you. ZF's are a must. There's a bearing that seperates the main gear cluster from the input shaft that needs the motor running to see oil. Best get her fired up and see if the trans is ok. If it is, you're the first ever known.

thats good information to know. i didn't know that.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Rah Rohhh...OOPS:idiot: ...Thanks for letting me in on that, at least I was only pulling it around 55 mph the whole trip and the 3.08 gears would turn it slower too than stock so I might get lucky. First time I ever heard about this on a manual tranny other than the big rigs, oh well, live and learn, we'll see what happened when I get her fired up again. I'm sure I'll hear it if I gaffed it up as this tranny was very quiet before.

Gotta fix the fuel problem so why not the tranny too before I sell it. At least I can do manual trannies pretty good:cry: Gotta get it right first because I can't give my buddy a POS as he had my back & got me out of some jams more than once.:shoot: