IDI Facebook groups

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is true, a lead pencil will screw up the firing order.
We did this back when I was in High school to one of the guys PU. This might have been back in 61.

Goat

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets annoyed with the groups.

Also glad I'm not the only one on the Bullnose groups that sees the crap that gets posted. All the ******* on the 6.9s on there from guys that think a 460 is better kills me.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you should post this. I just joined my first one (well, three, they all got 'recommended' together) and aye aye aye! I couldn't believe the misinformation and bad advice going around! I just about can't take it, I don't be surprised if I leave there sooner than later.

Also, I feel like this fits here. There's a cognitive bias theory called the Dunning Kruger effect. I found it one day and it explains why people who know little are often the most vocal.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny you should post this. I just joined my first one (well, three, they all got 'recommended' together) and aye aye aye! I couldn't believe the misinformation and bad advice going around! I just about can't take it, I don't be surprised if I leave there sooner than later.

Also, I feel like this fits here. There's a cognitive bias theory called the Dunning Kruger effect. I found it one day and it explains why people who know little are often the most vocal.

I "had" a friend like that. Really overall a decent guy but he was the "best of the best". I quickly learned that pointing out flaws was hopeless and got to the point of more or less "smile and nod" around him, even while he was spewing technical inaccuracies.

I made him mad one day while he was ranting about his work and how amazing one of the techs was. He told me a particular story and I replied "yeah I could probably have do that too in a fully equipped shop with all the right tools like he has". He asked me why I don't work as a tech and I simply replied because I enjoy it as a hobby, and know if I do it all day every day I'd loathe it after a while.

That ended up escalating into him becoming defensive and he hasn't spoken to me since. That was 2 years ago. If he called me today and wanted something I'd be there as always, but I'm not going to chase the negativity and arrogance either. I don't need that in my life, I've learned to just keep walking. If you're with me cool, if you need to leave along the way, the door's right over there, and will be open if you change your mind.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

I didn't read tehe entire article, but it sounds like the old "I think I am smarter than I am" so everything I say is "gospel" and everyone should listen to me.... even if I am full os s**t.....

I know a few people like this, and just recently met another..... and I just sat the like chill.... smile and nod... all the while in my head thinking , wow, he is full of s**t.... he was also one of those that had to tell you how smart he was.......

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the circle of automotive life and the internet.

1. Start off: you know nothing about a particular subject, wow the internet people are so smart, join a Facebook group maybe

2. Start to learn, realize Facebook group doesn't really know what they are talking about

3. Go to a dedicated good forum, alot better, but forums tend to have certain people worshipped and then alot of "knowledgeable" people parroting and repeating what the worshipped people say.

4. Realize this pattern, get factory manuals and documentation, start testing and expirementing yourself if possible. Actually verify and calculate to see if what is being said makes sense.

5. Realize that alot of what is being said is more opinion, anecdotal experience, or recognize the flaws in things. Keep to yourself and disengage from the internet. Potentially start texting and talking to certain people from the forum in real life to solve issues.

6. Most experienced and knowledgeable people minimally engaged or kept to their own threads.

7. Repeat! Just like life you may stop and get off the train at any number.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Social media can certainly bring out the worst in some people. Most algorithms are designed to give you more of what you like, so it produces a confirmation bias (unless it's an identified political topic, then all bets are off...). The internet can be an amazing place, but the real world still exists outside of it.

My College instructor once described the internet this way:

"96% of the internet is total and utter garbage...the remaining 4% is absolute gold."

Mind you, this was about 10 years ago when the internet was still in it's golden age.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

I "had" a friend like that. Really overall a decent guy but he was the "best of the best". I quickly learned that pointing out flaws was hopeless and got to the point of more or less "smile and nod" around him, even while he was spewing technical inaccuracies.
Both of these two also sound a lot like "Little Big Man Syndrome". I knew an old guy who used that term to describe the way that the shortest guy in the group was usually the most outspoken and was "better" than everyone else.

and know if I do it all day every day I'd loathe it after a while.
That sure happened to me. I got to the point that I hated to even change the oil in my car and would only do it when there was about 8000 miles on the oil. I "retired" from turning wrenches for a living four times, but somehow, I always seemed to have to do just that at my next job. The last time (the fourth time) it finally stuck. Then, after a few years, I was changing out the 302 in my Bronco using only hand tools. As I was laying underneath it removing bellhousing bolts, I realized that I was enjoying myself, even without my fancy air tools. These days, I still have people want me to do some type of work on their car, truck, motorcycle, ATV, etc. I always have to refuse. I don't want it to become work again. I just want to do it for myself. I do have to admit that I don't mind helping or supervising someone else work on his/her stuff.
The most ironic part about the first time that I said I had retired from wrenching for a living, my next job was working behind the parts counter at a Kenworth dealership. I hated that job so much that I wanted to hop over the counter and help someone work on a semi (which I REALLY can't stand working on). I made it only 5 weeks at that job. Then I went for work for a friend who opened a "paint shop". He tried to stay away from the automotive part of it since the area was flooded with auto body shops already. We painted things like some old tractors, semis, UPS trucks, and things for the galvanizing plant just down the road which had the second largest dipping tanks in the country at the time. One of my very first jobs while working there was rebuilding a 7.3 in a roll back for a wrecker company. At least I knew what I was doing there.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One Facebook IDI group story that I always remember was from a very close friend of mine (like a brother) that used to be active on here (The owner of the Enterprise that really pushed the edge on the IDI's before that was a thing)....

He was trying to help a "kid" on there. He knew exactly what the issue was by what was being described. He told the "kid" this is what the problem is, and what you have to do to fix it. (I don't remember the exact issue, that was many years ago when FB was more of a novelty) It may have been an air intrusion issue. The "kid" wanted to argue and was adimate it was the glow plugs (again not 100% sire if this was the issue, but sounds right)... and would argue that it couldn't be my my friend was saying. He would then explain, in a different way, why this was the problem, and again, argue that can't be it... Finally my friend said, you know what, my truck runs... so good luck , and did not respond again... I believe later on it was mentioned later on that he discovered an air intrusion issue...... LOL

wthompson01

W Thompson
Reaction score
LOL Now off on another subject. I've been told that if you really wanted to mess with somebody running a distrubitor, all you had to do was take the cap off and draw a line around the inner contact points with a pencil. The lead in the pencil will cause the spark to be distributed all around the cap instead of just to one cylinder. There won't be enough spark to start the engine and won't be anything visibly wrong either. Is it true? I have no idea since I've never tried it.

True. Graphite conducts electricity. So in theory drawing that line can cause all kinds of hell to break loose. And very not likely that the engine will run. At least not well enough to get home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online