IDI Facebook groups

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Anyone on here on any of the IDI facebook groups? There is quite a few 6.9/7.3 groups. We do have an oilburners specific group but I'm not talking about it.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is beating their head against the wall on a weekly or sometimes even daily basis reading the post on these groups. I'm not talking about basic questions that guys will ask because everyone was new at one point in time. The only dumb question is one thats not asked. The thing that kills me is the amount of bad information I see posted on there. And the Ford truck groups are even worse when someone ask an IDI related question. I feel bad for the new guys and the younger people just trying to learn. Its really hit or miss sometimes if they get an actual good answer to their question. I try to jump in when I can but I'm not on facebook all that much. I try and send them here when I can. I know Ive certainly learned a lot on this forum over the years.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've quit following a bunch of them.

Got in an argument about how a cheap electric lift pump can't be used parallel to the stock mechanical to prime fuel filters. I ended up calling him names that I'd normally be embarrassed to use in public, but he was so ignorant to his stupidity none of it even mattered. A real "I don't understand how it works, so that means it can't then" type of guy.

Facebook groups are the worst. Ask one question, and you'll have 30 know-nothings commenting the same answer thinking they're helping. And then facebook rewards them with stars and badges for commenting so much, even though it's all mindless BS they're posting.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score

Got in an argument about how a cheap electric lift pump can't be used parallel to the stock mechanical to prime fuel filters. I ended up calling him names that I'd normally be embarrassed to use in public, but he was so ignorant to his stupidity none of it even mattered. A real "I don't understand how it works, so that means it can't then" type of guy.

Facebook groups are the worst. Ask one question, and you'll have 30 know-nothings commenting the same answer thinking they're helping. And then facebook rewards them with stars and badges for commenting so much, even though it's all mindless BS they're posting.
That is the very reason I stay far away from facebook. I only go on there for marketplace.

Rock

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I admin a facebook group on a hobby mill. I run the page how this site is ran, g rated and without a refinery. People get real but hurt, think I am trampling there 2nd amendment rights and start messaging there friends and other admins about mistreatment. Oddly enough the page has become pretty well behaved after a few of these incidents. For most part facebook groups are pretty gruesome though.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dude one time a guy personally messaged me because I gave him the wrong part number for a Holley fuel pump, he thought I was trying to sabotage him. It’s crazy out there....

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are all the reasons why I’ve never set up a Facebook account. Lately I’ve wished I had access to the marketplace, but it’s probably for the best. Perhaps it’s saved me from having too many trucks follow me home like some members here who will remain unnamed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The only dumb question is one thats not asked.
I used to believe this, but I have since met some people who prove this to be wrong.

And the Ford truck groups are even worse when someone ask an IDI related question.
The only time I was on what was somewhat close to being an IDI group, it was a Bull Nose Ford group. Other than the idiotic answers that you usually got with every post I couldn't stand the overall mentality of the group. Examples: at least once a week, someone would ask "how big of tires can I run on my truck without a lift?" There was always several "positive" answers, but I didn't see anybody ask the important questions. What kind of truck do you have? F100, F150, F250, F350? Is your truck 4X4 or is it 4X2? What type of driving are you going to be doing with this truck? Strictly highway cruiser or are you going to try to pre run Baja with it?
Next, every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks, someone would ask "can I out this Chevy/Dodge part on my Ford truck?" My preferred response was "don't run Chevy/Dodge crap on your Ford!"
Engines were a completely different thing. The over all feelings were that the 300-6 was a gift from God, but the 302 was better off when it was a GM only displacement. The 460 was just barely under the 300-6 level of true divinity, but the 6.9 was a joke at best. Naturally, out of the few that would actually give a real answer to a 6.9 question, there was only a small percentage who had much of a clue about a IDI engine. Justin Anderson was worshiped as a god (I have nothing against him, I'm just pointing this out) and there wasn't anyone except him who could make a product for IDI engines. Nobody even bothered to answer if I posted that Wes, Russ, and Mel also make quality products.
After a while of those attitudes, I got completely fed up and left the group. I've never tried to join another IDI group or even a Ford truck group. I also have absolutely NO desire to attempt it either. The best source for information about IDIs is right here on this forum. It doesn't give you dozens of responses within 10 minutes of posting a question, but the quality of answers more than makes up for the lack of bad answer speed. Getting good answers to your IDI questions is almost like driving a truck with one for an engine. If you don't have some patience, then an IDI isn't really for you in the first place.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm on two of them and an 80-91 page.

I've gotten to the point I don't typically reply at all, simply because it's always one of 3-4 repeated questions. The other day I replied to a post only because everyone else had posted the wrong answer.

The really annoying ones for me are someone asking a question that makes zero sense until I realize it's from the 80-91 page so it's not IDI specific LOL

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm just trying to figure out why my air intrusion is caused by a bad distributor cap lol
LOL Now off on another subject. I've been told that if you really wanted to mess with somebody running a distrubitor, all you had to do was take the cap off and draw a line around the inner contact points with a pencil. The lead in the pencil will cause the spark to be distributed all around the cap instead of just to one cylinder. There won't be enough spark to start the engine and won't be anything visibly wrong either. Is it true? I have no idea since I've never tried it.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL Now off on another subject. I've been told that if you really wanted to mess with somebody running a distrubitor, all you had to do was take the cap off and draw a line around the inner contact points with a pencil. The lead in the pencil will cause the spark to be distributed all around the cap instead of just to one cylinder. There won't be enough spark to start the engine and won't be anything visibly wrong either. Is it true? I have no idea since I've never tried it.
All my friends have distributors, maybe I’ll have to test it out. Lol