IDI Conversion

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered if anyone has experience converting a 460 to 6.9/7.3IDI. I don't even know if it's worth considering, but I found a mid 80's F350 with a bad 460 for a reasonable price. Opinions?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah, there are some on here that have done it. I know that Russ, aka Typ4, got his truck with an IDI, put a 460 in, and then switched back to an IDI, so it can be done.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main differences are in the motor mounts, wiring harnesses, plus the bellhousing for the gas/diesel motors.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can handle the motor mounts and transmission issues. On my '94 IDI, I was under the impression that the electronic controls are limited to glow plug relay and high idle solenoid. Otherwise, pretty much just idiot lights. Would you have to change out the harness?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The right way to do it is to find a doner truck of the same year to swap everything over. That is, If your going for a factory install. Electrical is gonna be the hardest part, and thats not that hard really. I will be putting a 6.9/C6 where a 460/E4OD was this spring. I will try to update with any problem I run into, but I am figuring on an almost direct bolt in with minimal wireing.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the 7.3IDI factory turbo E4OD on the '94, and a similar setup seems practical in this truck. I have no idea how many donor diesel trucks are around to get a decent harness from. I can be pretty persistent when attempting a project like this. I guess anything is possible.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yep pretty easy swap I might say. As said a donor truck would be the easiest but it can be done.
Motor mounts, torch the 460 ones off and the diesel ones will bolt right into place over the crossmember.
Ford did right and had all the holes predrilled for the different motor configurations.;Sweet
Unfortunatly all of the wiring will need to be swapped. When I say everything, yup all of it. The wire harnesses were exclusive to the motor and drivetrain options, all the way into the dash. That's the biggest PITA.:puke:

A little patience and plenty of knuckle skinning I say go for it!

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Dog Catcher, have you done this swap? A resource ahead of the project would be good insurance. I'm sure with this resource any question could be answered, but info from someone that's completed this swap would definitely make it easier.