IDI Bronco in utah

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome truck but I wouldn't touch it because it has a swapped vin plate. Cops would be on that like white on rice.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Awesome truck but I wouldn't touch it because it has a swapped vin plate. Cops would be on that like white on rice.

Plus if they run the license plate it'll say 1990 F250... Doesn't take to smart of a cop to catch that.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus if they run the license plate it'll say 1990 F250... Doesn't take to smart of a cop to catch that.

Exactly. He took a nice clean looking swap from what I see in the pics and made it into a legal nightmare.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how he accomplished the conversion. I'm guessing he shortened an F-250 frame and dropped the Bronco body on it. No mention of 8 lug wheels on the front, but it looks like it has them. If it has an F-250 VIN tag, then obviously an F-250 was harmed in the making of this Bronco. LOL

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To get 8 lugs on the front isn't that hard in the least. I've swapped knuckles on several of the light duty 3/4 tons on to broncos before. Just like doing ball-joints.

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To get 8 lugs on the front isn't that hard in the least. I've swapped knuckles on several of the light duty 3/4 tons on to broncos before. Just like doing ball-joints.

Really? You mean putting a Dana 50 TTB knuckle onto a 44 TTB?

The Bronco looks very nice, but a legal nightmare for sure!

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to look in my filing cabinet to see if I still have all the info for how I did it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm thinking if he took a 90 f250 and dropped a bronco cab on it the tag switch *may* be legit depending on local laws unless all states have gone to the vin staying with the body. There used to be a few states where in a conversion the majority of teh vehicle got to keep its vin( that was a very long time ago )

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
It's not cost effective to tag it that way.....He's probably got it titled as a vehicle over 5k pounds......to hell with that, title it as a station wagon like it's meant to be.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the state it was titled in it could have been re-titled as either "salvage" or "reconstruction" which basically means it was made from a pile of parts of different vehicles with titles and purchase receipts for all the major parts, so Dept of Motor Vehicles has covered their ***** before issuing a new title under either a new vin tag or one of the vin tags of the major contributing carcases.

In this case it would be a "B" line title, not an "A" line title , which is a good title, but it means "something happened" .

In any case, if you bought it, a trip to the state offices is in order, with the seller in hand, to "splain" everything and make sure it's "legit".

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was one year they used a light duty 50ttb that the knuckles would direct swap to a 44ttb. I was lucky and found a set for one swap. I wasn't that lucky on the second one. To do that one I took regular 50ttb knuckles and I spent about an hour on each side reaming the tapers to accept the larger ball-joint. I'll find what year it was but I do know it exists. I think the ones that direct swapped came from a 85 f-250 light duty with the semi floating rear end.

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was one year they used a light duty 50ttb that the knuckles would direct swap to a 44ttb. I was lucky and found a set for one swap. I wasn't that lucky on the second one. To do that one I took regular 50ttb knuckles and I spent about an hour on each side reaming the tapers to accept the larger ball-joint. I'll find what year it was but I do know it exists. I think the ones that direct swapped came from a 85 f-250 light duty with the semi floating rear end.

Do you mean the Dana 44HD TTB?
There were 3 TTB setups in the Fullsize trucks.
Dana 44 TTB with 5 lug hubs, Dana 44HD with 8 lug hubs and 3" diameter lockouts, and the Dana 50 TTB with 8 lug hubs and 4" diameter lockouts.
The Dana 50 TTB's run the same lockout hubs as a Dana 60, and share the same wheel bearing nut socket as the Dana 60. I did a brake job on a buddy's truck a couple months ago, and we were pleasantly surprised to find a 50 instead of a 44HD.
I'm eager to learn more about this...in a way to convert a standard 44 TTB into 8 lugs. I wouldn't mind having my neighbor machine out the ball joint holes for larger ball joints to run the 50 outers.