1988 IDI Bronco

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@hacked89 i watched your 7/1 video you posted. You talked about how you did the CDR modification, but not the why.

I assume it’s an experiment to not have a catch can. What are the shortcomings of the factory system? Is it the rear 2 cylinders getting fed all the vapors?

Thanks for your time.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@hacked89 i watched your 7/1 video you posted. You talked about how you did the CDR modification, but not the why.

I assume it’s an experiment to not have a catch can. What are the shortcomings of the factory system? Is it the rear 2 cylinders getting fed all the vapors?

Thanks for your time.
On the T04Z truck, I’m running a catch can. It’s working, but I feel that it is unnecessary. That truck is decently capable, being fed with an R&D 130cc. It has 5000 miles on the build and 2500 mile change intervals is seeming about right so far. For that truck, it has a v band intake manifold which is nice because the factory CDR port is deleted and I feed the system back through the air intake tube. On the bronco, I used a factory intake and wanted to try no CDR which left the port, and figured I’d do a hybrid and run the valve covers to the factory port location. This is only because it’s NA. At one time, and I may have posted about it, I read that there was international documentation that when CDRs failed open it pulled towards the rear cylinders and was a cause of head gasket failures. I may have even speculated that in my past post history. At this point, I don’t think it’s an issue and may have been a rumor. Talk is cheap though and anything I suggest or say unless it’s disclaimed I put to the test on my own stuff. The bronco engine is testing that. Lastly, I want a version that works well for both NA and turbo. i think IDIot and R&D have the right idea to pursue it off the IP cover. That’s what I’ll tinker with next. Im going to be working on TIG skills this fall / winter because I have some current and future projects that will need it.

Last edited:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the rear, I want an f350 19g tank to bolt in. I looked at a bricknose f series frame, measured and the bronco frame and it’s almost as if ford just chopped the f series frame short for the bronco. I air hammered out the rear frame cross member rivets and moved it about 4” to the rear which will give me 29.5” between cross members same as an f series truck. Currently mocked up. For off roading, the 19g tank is nice and tucked up under the chassis.

Attachments

• IMG_3997.jpeg
    IMG_3997.jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3998.jpeg
    IMG_3998.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3989.jpeg
    IMG_3989.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3990.jpeg
    IMG_3990.jpeg
    460 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3986.jpeg
    IMG_3986.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 3

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additionally, I welded and mocked the front end up for now and installed an f350 receiver in the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_3953.jpeg
    IMG_3953.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3955.jpeg
    IMG_3955.jpeg
    394.3 KB · Views: 5

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for asking - I finished this build but the forum doesn’t support the ability for me to post pictures anymore
Well, you'll just have to write it up like a Dickens novel........

It was a brisk spring day in Pennsylvania, the tulips had recently broke the surface of the ground and the sent of PB blaster, diesel fuel and rotten gas had begun to stir my emotions to drive a diesel powered bronco through the slush of the long forgotten snows.

Oh, this wasn't any diesel powered bronco, it was a '88 bricknose bronco. Something like a bullnose that had ran into a brick wall while it was trying to evolve into the 92-96 'OBS' front, slightly unconventional, but endearing because it's a Ford......

You get the idea, talk it up for us @hacked89 !!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01