IDI Bellhousing for 4 Speed

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, I've been reading all the posts that say you can make a 460 bellhousing with the IDI by performing just a little surgery on it. Here's the thing, I'm dropping a 6.9 into a vehicle that has a 351m in it and supposedly the sources I have say the 351M and 460 share bellhousing patterns. If that's so, then can you get (with some work and creativity) a 6.9 to use that bellhousing on a 4 speed?

And I've searched all over for the modifications named "typ4 transmission mod" and have yet to find it to see the pattern needed. Either way to the above question, can someone direct me to where that information is needed? I would REALLY appreciate it...

Then all I'd have to do is figure out the clutch setup, but I bet I could find that with a little research.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Yes, the 351M and 460 share the same bellhousing pattern. I believe the transmission mod you're looking for is in the Tech article section at the top of this forum page.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around the area, the junkyards are pretty well picked through and/or they are worth a small fortune.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
While the 351/400m and the 460 share the same bolt pattern, the 351/400m bell housing has to be clearanced to run it on a 460. So you may need to do the same on a diesel

Black dawg

Reaction score
the 460/4gear bell wont work on the idi. there isnt enough room to mod the bolt holes. I forgot to compare the iron 351m/400 bell, but you have to run a spacer between the bell and block to use it on a 460 for clutch clearance.

Black dawg

Reaction score
just compared the 400 bell to the 460 bell and there is even less material to modify.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to chew on, once you have the bellhousing you wish to use, I'm under the impression that the 460 and the IDI use the exact same clutch, maybe someone else can confirm or debunk. The IDI bells are still around but they do crack, usually because of excessive clutch effort due to a galled up TOB or bad pilot bearing. I used a kevlar pilot bushing on my T18 conversion at the suggestion of this board, even with my custom mechanical clutch and cheap TOB not much clutch effort.