Ice picking the valley pan?????

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted the question about the turbo dump tube(thanks for the help by the way:thumbsup: ) My valley pan does back up with the oil poured down it....WHat does it mean to ice pick it. Do I have to take the valley pan out of it or just do it through the hole? Thanks for the help.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that you just poke a few holes in the valley pan through the CDR valve opening that is directly behind the intake. That way, removal is not necessary, and the oil drain can be opened up enought that it won't cause you problems.

Ryan

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought this turbo used and it was missings some parts. I was just curious if that CDR valve is supposed to be relocated or just pitched? thanks for the help

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It usually gets re-located. What kind of turbo did you get?

You MUST have some way to vent those crankcase vapors, or you'll start to blow seals out elsewhere in the engine. You can order an adaptor from Banks that will allow you to vent from the IP cover, either through the CDR and back into the intake, or just through a road-draft tube.

Ryan

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i perferated the valley pan, but the oil is pushing out of the seal......Could this be because the CDR valve is not there? Could it be creating internal pressure and pushing the oil back out? Thanks for the help

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is difficult to keep the seal in the proper place in the valley pan while placing the turbo in its location. I have had to fish that thing out of the valley several times during my turbo installations. The seal is a rubber "O Ring" type of thing with a grove along the outside that fits into the valley pan. I think you can get new ones at most automotive hardware stores, just take the old one in with you.

Be sure and put the CDR valve back or get one of mels Road draft tubes. You need something.

good luck.

akoldnav

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your just trying to determine the cause of the oil leak, you could leave the oil fill cap off briefly to see if it is crankcase presure that's doing it to you.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
The CDR valve must still be in the system unless you use a RDT. On my Hypermax kit the CDR valve mounts to the turbo inlet pipe from the aircleaner. The inlet for it goes to a new hole drilled in the left valve cover. Hypermax supplied the seals for the dump tube and for the valve cover.

Jim

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help.....I started it up and oil was still pushing past the seal so I took the oil filler cap of to see if that would release the pressure in the motor, It worked......So all I have to do now is relocate the CDR valve. Thanks again everyone;Sweet Brad King T.C. Michigan

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An easy alternative is to get the Banks adapter to go on your IP gear pump housing and run an RDT. Much simpler than relocating the CDR.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The part number for the banks adapter is in the parts bin. Where it goes and what it looks like, I don't have a good picture of it. Maybe somebody else does?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll see what I can do for a picture....

I'm also trying to source some good hose for my RDT that won't turn to gelly with exposure to oil. Common heater hose is NOT rated for oil, and only lasts about 10 months...

Ryan

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strangely enough, I'm using a piece of clear vinyl hose on the Moosestang. It was only supposed to be temporary, but it's holding up fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online