I think it has a short

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Hey all...

Once again I am writing about my moms truck having an issue.

After Kevin went over to help it seemed to run fine.... but then the other day she went over to check on the guys working in Lander and my buddy noticed that it seemed to have a miss... and then the Alarm system wouldn't work right.... Then yesterday it wouldn't start again. Cranks over but no fire....

So the first thing I tell her is to make sure the batteries are fully charged.... because last time this seemed to be part of the problem.... and try again....

Charging the batteries was a sticking point for her... she was like: they are brand new, we bought new ones after Kevin came over. Anyways, she did like I told her and they were low... but still no fire...

I am thinking that maybe she has a short that is draining the batteries...

This truck has had issues since she bought it... I think she might have a shorted harness or something but I don't know where to tell her to start looking. Is there a, if there is such a thing, a common spot that they short at.

Is there an easy may to see if there is a short or a drain on the system. I was told one that to see if something is pulling a drain on the battery to use a multimeter and touch each side of each fuse to see if there is power flowing through it... is this a way to search for a drain and if so what exactly are you looking for?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Whit

Reaction score
Damn truck anyway

when I was over there they told me that they had the key re-programed...well they got a new reprogrammed key anyway........................this key would start the truck but the old one wouldnt.

I dunno nuttin bout the key programmin stuff but I found that to be way wierd.

as far as a short its hard to say..........I think if it was a short it would pop a fuse ...........I would bet more on something electrical just draining the batteries...I know she has 2 new batteries in it

does she have any after market electricl devices in there????

that key reprogramin stuff smells kinna fishy to me

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Kevin,

Thanks for the reply... yeah the key thing sounded funny to me also... I wasn't sure if the Dodges could be done like the fords... key on/off several times to enter into programming and such...

I don't believe she has any other aftermarket electrical stuff in there.. I believe it's just a plain jane inside with only factory stuff.

Wierd huh? If anyone else has any ideas please let me know... She is managing some ladies Beauty shop for acouple of weeks so she calls at night and I try to help over the phone.. I am trying to find out if you can program the keys yourself.. maybe that will help...

There was a guy over on tds that couldn't start his ford and it was because of the key programming... Some tech told him how to do it himself and he was able to reprogram the one key he had and then redo both at the same time... I guess when you program them you have to do both keys at the same time, or you will always have one that doesn't work.

mgola

mgola
Reaction score
Just so im clear the engine spins over but Does NOT start? This could be many issues. Key programing COULD be a possibility but i would lean towards something else. Aftermarket accessories, pcm, ecu, fuel issues, aftermarket programmers... the list goes on. Does the Pcm have any codes?

Whit

Reaction score
I went up there and ran the codes on this truck..........had something about fueling issues so I cleared it and it started

last I knew the truck was running fine

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Kev,

I really appreciate all your help.... that truck was the true meaning of a lemon.... It still had issues after you came up... my mom just felt bad about wasting all your time.

She took it to some diesel shop in Riverton and they did a bunch of work on it to get it running again... then the day she got it back she took it to the dealer and traded it in on a new vehicle.

The shop found multiple things wrong on the truck... the guy that had it before my mom told here he had done numerous things on the truck also... the only way he would trade it in was if the dealer promised to sell it in an auction out of town... he was very upset to see my mom driving it... the old owner... he actually stopped her to ask if it was running right and gave her all the info about what a piece it had been for him..

Thank goodness it's gone now...

Not criticising the dodge or Cummins... it's just that truck was a piece of crap.

VALKYRIES

Reaction score
Do_G_ !!!!!!###

Yes I have a 99 and 40 visits later and still doesn't run the way the other 50 diesel engines that I have operated! You can't expect much from them!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726