I think i done burned up the starter

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sure seems like you ain't got fuel there yet. If you had a stick shift, I'd recommend having a buddy pull you and pop the clutch. With the C6 you're married to spinning and spinning. The other thing, just maybe, is to make sure the shut off solenoid on the injection pump is plugged up and clicking on and off.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks,
I'll try that tomorrow.

I did end up pulling the trigger on a 9050, I think I toasted the old one. At least it's worth eliminating this from the issue.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sure seems like you ain't got fuel there yet. If you had a stick shift, I'd recommend having a buddy pull you and pop the clutch. With the C6 you're married to spinning and spinning. The other thing, just maybe, is to make sure the shut off solenoid on the injection pump is plugged up and clicking on and off.
I agree.
filter is full, the hard lines leaked at the injector. this one got me good

I guess if I can't figure it out I'll do a zf swap :)

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks,
I'll try that tomorrow.

I did end up pulling the trigger on a 9050, I think I toasted the old one. At least it's worth eliminating this from the issue.
It's a fine investment, too rich for my blood though.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a fine investment, too rich for my blood though.

I typically agree, I'm both cheap and typically broke. However, after swapping out my third warranty exchange parts store starter I was beyond tired of replacing starters. I found it cheaper than repeated failures of crappy rebuilds. If my powermaster dies prematurely I might just set the truck on fire LOL

You might find it makes an odd noise starting, at least mine does. Sure spins it over good though!

There is an alternative that I've seen recommended as well, apparently DB Electric sells a knockoff Chinese version of the same style as the powermaster. I saw a couple reviews of them stating early failures due to lower quality parts, but the people who use them generally seem to like them. I think they were close enough in price to the powermaster that I decided the extra was worth it for a USA built part.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been running my 9050 for the past 4 + years, never a problem.
Never have to do any long cranking sessions, engine fires right off. Hear one Rr and she is running. Not too bad for 328K and UKN miles on Pump and Injectors.

Just make sure you have 2 good quality equally matched fully charged batteries.

Buying "rebuilt" parts isn`t always a good way to go.
I have been through 3 Alternators, and 3 maybe 4 Brake Boosters from O`Reallys. Just swapped the Alt last week again, but this one came from PNP off a 85 6.9, thing wasn`t even dirty...and $35. was a Rebuilt.

I went through 3 Alternators out of the box at O`Really`s with the Mgr. all had dry bearings spinning the Pulley.
Next one will be a 3G Power Master alt.

Goat

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I have learned over many years is that cheap is NOT good. I started my career in Construction watching several fellow carpenters buy Cheap tools and they were JUNK. I bought only "good" tools, even if they cost more. I was a finish carpenter and fellow workers wanted to use my "Finish Tools"; like a miter saw to cut framing lumber. I would not let them use my tools for rough framing and this made many mad. I said "YOU go spend this amount of money and loan YOUR tools out". That did not happen. Spend the money for good, quality tools and keep them for yourself!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an alternative that I've seen recommended as well, apparently DB Electric sells a knockoff Chinese version of the same style as the powermaster. I saw a couple reviews of them stating early failures due to lower quality parts, but the people who use them generally seem to like them. I think they were close enough in price to the powermaster that I decided the extra was worth it for a USA built part.
I think that motorcraft that was on rockauto for $70 was the same or at least similar as the powermaster, but they got all bought up before I could get one.
I got one of the planetary gear reduction starters, and it spins the crap out of that IDI.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update,

on track lost the power master. been waiting all this time for it.

gonna go get 1 from autozone today. dang

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this one's taking forever!
got an autozone starter in, trying to bleed injectors 1 at a time by myself just ain't working.
waiting on a call back from mechanic, just gonna outsource it.

I do notice some smoke emanating from the intake after cranking a few times, wonder if that is indicative of an issue I haven't caught.

not giving up

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this one's taking forever!
got an autozone starter in, trying to bleed injectors 1 at a time by myself just ain't working.
waiting on a call back from mechanic, just gonna outsource it.

I do notice some smoke emanating from the intake after cranking a few times, wonder if that is indicative of an issue I haven't caught.

not giving up
Maybe try a shot of ether on the air filter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online