I smell raw diesel fuel.....

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
....when I make turns or step into the pedal pretty good. Valley pan is very wet with fresh fuel. Is the IP getting ready to puke?

sassyrel

Reaction score
small mirror to look under front bottom of pump--bleed hole just back from mounting flange--for when the seal inside pump is heading out--if so--ip time--or can leak at bottom of advance arm on pump--on same side--

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I got a closer look at it tonite. The entire front of the IP just behind the gear drive is wet, there is a small pile of crap (not sure what it is) directly under the triangle cover on the side of the pump that reaches from the pump body to the valley pan( honest, it's touching both) & the valley pan is wet as far back as I can see. The truck also started surging suddenly at about 1/8 tank of fuel. Filled up & it's not doing it as often.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Well then, it's also gonna be injectors, elec fuel pump, return line kit, & glowplug time. I knew it was coming, just wanted to make it through the summer. Can't really say I'm pissed, I'll be able to look my wife in the eyes & be telling the truth when I say I need to order this stuff before the truck craps out on me completely :Sly . DPS/Ken.....if your listening or lurking......answer the damn phone tommorrow :backoff :draw :D

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher said:
Injectors and IP?????....cough....cough..... stage1.... cough. :D :D

;Sweet

Turbo IP & a Holley Red Pump too ;Really Actually, that reminded me of a question I wanted to ask. Do I have to have the elec. pump to run the turbo pump & stage 1's? Less money spent is best but I don't want to do this 1/2 a$$ed either.

pafixitman

Reaction score
apextrans said:
Do I have to have the elec. pump to run the turbo pump & stage 1's? Less money spent is best but I don't want to do this 1/2 a$$ed either.

No. Many people swear by the manual lift pump. My schedule is pretty crazy but throw out a post of when the "party" is and we will see who can make it.

apextrans said:
I'll be able to look my wife in the eyes & be telling the truth when I say I need to order this stuff before the truck craps out on me completely .
:angel: :thumbsup: It's a good feeling to have every once in a while!

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
No. Many people swear by the manual lift pump. My schedule is pretty crazy but throw out a post of when the "party" is and we will see who can make it.

The party is gonna need to be pretty soon. FSV is still not addressed( & not positive that's the culprit) but the truck stumbled badly a few times today on the way to & from traffic court with a full tank. I was actually talking out loud to it telling it to just get me to court & it could do whatever the hell it wanted to me on the way home!! Anyway, I smell fuel more now than before. I have no smoke from the pipe anymore except from a dead stop & the truck feels gutless. I do have about 500lbs. of crush & run in the bed, but still. If I could get Ken from DPS on the phone, I could tell you when the "party" might be. Stay tuned I guess.

Hey Mel, if you can make the party, any chance you might bring the rims & your timing equipment with you?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
dbarilow said:
Yea, I'll come over and leak sometihing on your street.... I mean help LOL

:rotflmao I got a pretty big driveway so no need to park on the street. However, the only leaking allowed in the driveway is my own. I reserved you a spot in the grass right next to the driveway LOL LOL . Thanks for the offer to help. Didn't realize you were so close.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
apextrans said:
FSV is still not addressed( & not positive that's the culprit) but the truck stumbled badly a few times today on the way to & from traffic court with a full tank. I was actually talking out loud to it telling it to just get me to court & it could do whatever the hell it wanted to me on the way home!! Anyway, I smell fuel more now than before. I have no smoke from the pipe anymore except from a dead stop & the truck feels gutless.
Is the truck also sounding quieter?

If so, that's the timing retarding because the check valve at the fitting for the return line at the IP is clogged up with stuff...and that "stuff" is usually the remains of a nylon gear in the IP. BUT, that's a separate thing from the blown front shaft seal on the IP that's letting fuel leak out the weep hole and into the valley pan...

If you have another mode of transportation, I would park the truck until the IP can be replaced. Or, you can pull the black check valve off the top of the pump and try and clean it out (I used a lead for an electrical tester). It'll buy you a little bit of time. When my pump died, I would clean the check valve out every time I moved the truck, and it would run okay for a while. Then, the truck would get quieter (restrictions in the fuel return automatically retard the timing)...then it'd start putting out some light white smoke...then it'd start missing and putting out a lot more white smoke...and finally it would just die...

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I don't think it's any quieter, although it's straightpiped, so it would be hard to tell. It's not "cackling" as much as I remember under heavy pedal but definitely not quiet.

My smoke is still dark. Not solid black but nowhere near white. My only syptoms are the wet valley pan, front of pump is wet, pile of crude under fuel screw plate, & the smell of raw fuel.

I know the timing is off & don't know if it's every been done. It's even worse with the H2O flowing. Had to back the pump pressure off to less than 100psi to keep from knocking. I know very little about timing other than what it's purpose is, so I don't know if it's to far advanced or retarded with the H2O going. Sucks though because with the pressure that low there's no SOTP kick when it comes on. The 1 time I did get Ken on the phone, he suggested backing the pressure off until I fix the other problems at hand & then get it timed & bring the pressure back up.

I stopped by the FD the other day & found some service records for the truck. The same place serviced the truck from day one. No record of fuel system work at all. It's all got over 110,000 on the components, so I figure it's time anyway.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott, any chance the gasket behind the triangle for the fuel adjustment has disintegrated or torn? I'd check it. I can bring the rims and do the timing. I suspect Joe is referring to Gettysburg in another weekend. See the BOOB site events forum.