i need some feed back starting on wmo

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just wanted to find out how yalls truks do starting on wmo when its about 40 deg i got 50 50 in the tank and she dont want to hit i usualy run a heated tank but its out for repairs right now so let me know .

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good way to break a pump shaft. heat as much of the top of the engine as u can and plug in the block heater

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just wanted to find out how yalls truks do starting on wmo when its about 40 deg i got 50 50 in the tank and she dont want to hit i usualy run a heated tank but its out for repairs right now so let me know .

We currently run W85. 85% WMO - 15% Regular Unleaded. When in the twenties, the truck much prefers being plugged in for a couple hours first.

The ratio will move to 80/20 as we see colder weather.

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all right thanks guys ill plug her in tonight and ill run the front tank out od oil and put straight diesel in her i never blended with gas before howlong have you been runing with that blend

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plug it in. It will still probably be a smokey start. Are you still running the factory lift pump? If you are it will probably run fine once started, since I switched to electric pump I cant push the thick stuff through the filter as well.

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all right thanks guys ill plug her in tonight and ill run the front tank out od oil and put straight diesel in her i never blended with gas before howlong have you been runing with that blend

Approaching 18,000 miles on powerstroke. Probably 2,000 on 7.3 idi. Maybe several thousand on the deuce and a half.

How do you clean your oil?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I don't like running that thick of a mix any colder than that, it gets to hard to light off for start-up.

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i run 50/50 and 75 wmo 25diesel in the summer but the 50/50 has seen 26 degree weather this year and ole gurl fired right up no probs

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use a centerfuge and i pluged her in and this morn lit the glow plugs a little and she lit right off so it does take some good heat to light off on wmo i watch my fuel presur to see if it is to thick . hey what kined of electric pump u using.? i am sure the ring are weak too but once she fires up she runs as smooth as a kitten.

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just put a new factory lift pump never had a prob pumping oil with it so if it aint broke dont fix it.

badaceds650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
food for thought, how much are you really saving by not starting and stopping on diesel? after the exta strain on your starter, battery's, gp's, and not to mention when your engine is cold even if it's plugged in there is going to a massive percentage of extra unburnt carbon till the engine "seals up". I'm all for saving a buck, but at what cost?

personally I have a back tank or normal diesel that i start and stop on. then run my front tank with a mix, generally in the 65-75% in the winter.

I cut my wmo with diesel and some gas not over 5%. I don't use gas every time just when I have it laying around

on a side note I feel like once you go over the 85% range even in the summer it's to smoky, it has to be filling your rings and gumming up your engine over that percentage.

Last edited:

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just put a new factory lift pump never had a prob pumping oil with it so if it aint broke dont fix it.

If you are pumping thick fuels stay with the factory lift. I have a carrier pump from gen lightning and it is great for priming and quick starts on diesel, but it falls flat on its face when you put blends in it, especially in winter. I may go back to the factory pump and try leaving the electric in for priming.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you are pumping thick fuels stay with the factory lift. I have a carrier pump from gen lightning and it is great for priming and quick starts on diesel, but it falls flat on its face when you put blends in it, especially in winter. I may go back to the factory pump and try leaving the electric in for priming. In fact you may have seen me on the side of the road in Kelso the other morning running 50-50 blend and trying to haul a cab n chassis on a trailer. Finally gave up and ran straight diesel until late in the PM when the fuel got warm enough to flow.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Running gas is a bad idea. I was running 15% gas to 85% wmo. Every time I worked it hard, it would foul up my injectors with black grit. I killed injectors on a regular basis. It turned out to be the gas burning in my injector tips. OLDBULL8 pointed me towards this article. After reading that article, I switched to 30% diesel to 70% wmo and have not had any more injector trouble. I start up and shut down on diesel.

If you start up on wmo, do not increase rpm past idle for at least 5 minutes. I do not recommend trying to start on anything more than 50/50.

Follow the link in this post:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showpost.php?p=575380&postcount=4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online