I just noticed there are loads of cheap zd9 glowplugs on ebay

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There're in Motorcraft packaging, some even claim they're genuine. $40/8-pack, free shipping.

Do we have any reason to think they aren't bogus?

Black dawg

Reaction score
The price through my supplier for zd9 plugs has come down considerably over this last year. I don't remember if I have used any, but looking at them closely there is not indication they are fake.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Buying known counterfeit parts encourages them to sell them. If no one is buying, they won't make/sell them.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jesus Freak, what kind of tests would you suggest if I take a flier on them?
First, I'd install them in my engine.
Second, I'd fire it up and drive around.
Third, I'd repeat step 2 as often as necessary, but not unnecessarily because you probably run diesel fuel and that stuff ain't cheap.
And then after a while either they work or they don't. And if they don't, Lord willing they don't swell like autolites. That's all you can do. I run almost 100% waste motor oil, so I've really given up on glow plugs.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, I'd install them in my engine.
Second, I'd fire it up and drive around.
Third, I'd repeat step 2 as often as necessary, but not unnecessarily because you probably run diesel fuel and that stuff ain't cheap.
And then after a while either they work or they don't. And if they don't, Lord willing they don't swell like autolites. That's all you can do. I run almost 100% waste motor oil, so I've really given up on glow plugs.
I run almost 100% diesel in my truck, and I have also given up on glow plugs.

Might not be 100% because who knows how clean the tanks are that I fill out of

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run almost 100% diesel in my truck, and I have also given up on glow plugs.

Might not be 100% because who knows how clean the tanks are that I fill out of
Well, if you had a set of $40 ZD9s you might not be so quick to write them off. I bet the Amazon reviews boast such things as "good seller" "product was as discribed" "haven't installed yet, look good" "shipped quickly" "si sinor, qe pasa, hola" "received first time damaged, replaced quickly" "thanks" "worst product ever" etc.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if you had a set of $40 ZD9s you might not be so quick to write them off. I bet the Amazon reviews boast such things as "good seller" "product was as discribed" "haven't installed yet, look good" "shipped quickly" "si sinor, qe pasa, hola" "received first time damaged, replaced quickly" "thanks" "worst product ever" etc.
There are no words to describe how I laughed at this… no, glow plugs are just… no. I’ll have to disagree with you on turbos, I like them thangs

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also researched this during my glow plug fiasco a few years ago. You may find this helpful.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with cubey, don't want to encourage the fakers.

From that linked article, the OP says that the real Motorcraft GP has a hex crimp near the top, and the fakes have a circle there. The several ebay offerings I looked at had the circle.

It also says that real Motorcraft parts bags have a little circle punched out somewhere, to let air out.

Now I'm going out to the shop to check the ones I have on the shelf.