I just acquired a '93 model IDIT 190HP turbo engine, tips and info please?

PCausey

Reaction score
Thanks for that info on the balance of the flywheel. I'm running a ZF 5 spd behind my 6.9 and will keep on using it but this engine does have the flexplate for an automatic. Do you know if my 6.9 flywheel will work? It's a single mass flywheel and I'm running a custom made ceramic puck clutch,basically the same disc that's used in the 430HP corvette with a ZF center

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out how to create an album on this site with lot's of pics I have of building it but I can't find the link on my profile to do it. Maybe I need a paid membership here? I don't know but if you can tell me how to get pictures posted here then I will

Well it aint real easy, but here is a link that simplifies it a lot:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...ial-with-pics-and-installing-them-in-a-thread

Basically you just need to get the pic loaded to a site where it will have its own web address, then you insert it like this:

You must be registered for see images

PCausey

Reaction score
OK here's a link to my shutterfly account. There's over 200 pics of Alice, my 4x4 van over the last 6 months through all the major rebuild. The pictures are not in order and I haven't taken time to get them in order or fill out descriptions of each picture yet. Everything you see done here was done by me, in my driveway, with a stack of cinder blocks, a 6" hydraulic jack, cutting torches, and an AC buzz box stick welder. Work went in this order and began in AUg 2012. What you see is around 200 hours into it
1. old Alice, my original where all teh 4x4 gear came from, awesome van but rusted out. Original Alice is the black van
2. new Alice, plain white cargo van with 6.9 diesel comes home
3. migrating the 4x4 gear from old to new
4. building custom pieces and a custom interior into new body
5. changing from auto trans to 5spd manual trans
6. lots of pieces gathered up and trying to get them installed
Tell me if this works please. I'll figure out later how to link this on my profile here

http://alicemy4x4van.shutterfly.com/

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool project! How do you like the zf in the van? I would love to put one in mine some day. Looking forward to see what you do next!

sassyrel

Reaction score
Everything you see done here was done by me, in my driveway, with a stack of cinder blocks,
P L E A S E!!! dont use cinder blocks!! these are a VERY weak version of a concrete block,,and even then are only safe to use,,if set like they are in a house,,not 90degrees!! you had the money to buy the engine,,buy some quality jack stands...your life is worth it...

PCausey

Reaction score
When I said cinder blocks I meant no less than two double stacks at a time and always with a layer of plywood between layers of blocks to prevent breaking and provide even weight distribution, I used about 20 of them at one point. Finding jack stands in the 35" to 48" range isn't easy or cheap. And for additional safety I always had one complete axle with tires mounted under it as well and never once did I actually get underneath it on nothing but blocks. I'm smarter than that but good call pointing out that I wasn't clear on that point. My point in posting that is to demonstrate that work of this scale can be safely accomplished with the most basic of items in a driveway. I would of course highly recommend buying some jack stands in the correct range if that's in the budget.

Another aspect of what you see done so far on this project is this. It has been done while unemployed on a shoestring budget. By careful shopping, selling leftover pieces as I go, and re-using everything I can I am over 200 hours into it and only $2,100 in the red on my budget

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another aspect of what you see done so far on this project is this. It has been done while unemployed on a shoestring budget. By careful shopping, selling leftover pieces as I go, and re-using everything I can I am over 200 hours into it and only $2,100 in the red on my budget

Wow, that is awesome!! ;Really My hat is off to you sir for your accomplishments on this project. ;Sweet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it aint real easy, but here is a link that simplifies it a lot:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...ial-with-pics-and-installing-them-in-a-thread

Basically you just need to get the pic loaded to a site where it will have its own web address, then you insert it like this:

Acutally...the correct tags are
they must be capital/uppercase letters!:sly don't ask how I know...cause u can figure it out I'm sure!

is correct for video...don't ask me why it's this way...I have no freakin clue.:dunno:confused:

I just wanted to be absolutely clear that for images it MUST BE IMG

Thanks for linking my thread in there;Sweet...I was going to do that when I read he wanted to know how to do it.

PCausey

Reaction score
It has yet to be driven with the ZF so time will tell. I decided to get through the entire driveline rebuild before it goes on the road and the front axle has slowed me down waiting on parts. This particular ZF is a wide ratio 5 spd which was behind a 460 engine. Of course it wouldn't bolt to the diesel like that so I purchased a ZF case for a 7.3 from the core supply and swapped cases and installed new input bearings and seals in the process. The close ratio would be better but this way was so much cheaper. I found the 460 ZF on Oklahoma city craigslist for $250 and drove up there to get it and the 7.3 case was another $200 but that's still cheaper than the wrecking yards get for a core diesel ZF

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Acutally...the correct tags are
they must be capital/uppercase letters!:sly don't ask how I know...cause u can figure it out I'm sure!

is correct for video...don't ask me why it's this way...I have no freakin clue.:dunno:confused:

I just wanted to be absolutely clear that for images it MUST BE IMG

Whatever RW, but I just posted a pic in the test forum using
and it worked just fine.....:dunno just sayin....:sly

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?60847-picture-test

I know you can't look at how I formatted it, but I promise you it uploaded with

PCausey

Reaction score
The turbo system was nearly a perfect bolt on option for the 6.9. It's on there now, not driven yet but on there. I had to use the 7.3 left valve cover for the crankcase vent location, the pedestal of the turbo was a direct bolt on to the 6.9 intake where the breather used to be and used the breather hole for oil drain back. Oil source was also an easy hookup, the oil pressure sending unit came off and the oil line hooked up there and the sensor is relocated to the turbo oil inlet. I did have to move some wires and hoses and reroute away from the turbo. The right side exhaust manifolds are identical but the left is a bit different so I used 1/2 the crossover pipe from the 7.3 turbo and half the cross over pipe for the 6.9 and joined them in the center underneath. And there's tons of clearance As for the 7.3 IDIT engine, it's on an engine stand in my garage now covered up and waiting on $ to rebuild it. I'll post later what I think about operating with this turbo.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 460 zf case can be drilled for the diesel. I have built jigs to do it. do you still have it.?

PCausey

Reaction score
No I sold it for scrap. I do however have an extra 4x2 ZF S5-42 complete for a 7.3 sitting in my garage along with the 4x4 unit I put the case on and is in my van. I picked it up so cheap I couldn't pass on it

PCausey

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting my 6.9 nto start again after it sat for 3 months. I never removed or drained the fuel filter so I thought it would keep it's prime but maybe it didn't? I did have all the fuel lines open below the lift pump and I had both tanks out for months. It fired up for just a second or two, ran kinda rough, died and hasn't restarted. Do I need to crack open all my injector lines and bleed off the air maybe? Other things I should check? I have two new 1000 CCA batteries and I don't want to run them down or burn up my starter trying. Thanks

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I sold it for scrap. I do however have an extra 4x2 ZF S5-42 complete for a 7.3 sitting in my garage along with the 4x4 unit I put the case on and is in my van. I picked it up so cheap I couldn't pass on it

did you get 200 in scrap for it. ?