I have a problem

Reaction score
Pictures

I get into something new and I get all obsessed, then I start a collection. :dunno it is very bad for me.

I got another truck. '88 F250 4x2 reg cab 5spd 7.3 farm beater.

PO said it has a cracked head. It starts, runs, drives. I will check it out more tomorrow, and get some pics. I really just got it for parts. I wanted the tilt wheel and some dash trim.

THEN I realized that there is no column shift :eek: and so I dunno how i can use the tilt :(

MAN it has been hot here. The A/C is soooo cold I love it (A/C inop in the '87) I sure would rather have a 5spd to drive too.

LOL I like the seat better too.

You must be registered for see images

OBTW DAAAAAAAAANG that thing was heavy 15500 # total weight of CC truck, trailer, and new truck. YIKES I got some better pics but had a malfunction and lost em.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PO said it has a cracked head. It starts, runs, drives. I will check it out more tomorrow, and get some pics. I really just got it for parts. I wanted the tilt wheel and some dash trim.

THEN I realized that there is no column shift :eek: and so I dunno how i can use the tilt :(
first, how did he determine the cracked head? cooling system pressurizing? or is there coolant going into the oil/
second, bolt action and slushbox columns are very different animals. best to hit a wrecking yard if you have your heart set on a tilt column. But word of advice....tilt columns are a mixed blessing. On one hand, they are nice for long distance travel BUT if you are one of those who pull on the steering wheel to help get into the truck, your tilt assy will meet and early demise.
BTW...nice find:thumbsup: you'll find the parts swap to be really convient on most parts

SKimballC

Reaction score
I believe I saw that on Portland Craigslist just tonight.
Don't tell me its really hot there. Its gonna be humid mid 90's here in the dirty south this week. At least I'll be out of here before it gets too brutal and in Portland in a couple weeks.

Reaction score
I did get it off of Craig's List. You know, I didn't even think to ask the PO how he knew it was cracked,:dunno I will email him.

He was asking $200 obo or trade. I just gave him the $200 w/o dickerin' because if something is worth it to me, I will just pay the man.

There are signs of water in the oil. There doesn't seem to be anything in the water though. BTW it does look like it is just water. He did say you could drive it, "just bring lots of water". We only drove it onto the trailer, and then i did a few laps around the block when I got home. Temp never got above normal.

I did forget to mention that there is no clutch pedal action. The pedal is to the floor, you can pull it up to the normal position, but if you barely push on it with your finger, it quickly goes to the floor. It seems to go down with more than just gravity, almost like something is pulling it down.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I believe I saw that on Portland Craigslist just tonight.
Don't tell me its really hot there. Its gonna be humid mid 90's here in the dirty south this week. At least I'll be out of here before it gets too brutal and in Portland in a couple weeks.

This last week it has been pretty hot for this area, above the normal 70*. This week though, it has been raining and in the low to mid 60's. It definatly wont be as humid as the south.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I did forget to mention that there is no clutch pedal action. The pedal is to the floor, you can pull it up to the normal position, but if you barely push on it with your finger, it quickly goes to the floor. It seems to go down with more than just gravity, almost like something is pulling it down.

You'll probably notice, if you get down underneath, that the clutch slave cylinder is puking fluid. That is if there is any left in the master. The pedal has a spring overcenter mechanism. If there is no mechanical or fluid resistance, once you push on it the spring will take it to the floor. Another thing to check is the master cylinder rod attachment to the clutch pedal arm up under the dash. There's a nylon bushing that snaps the two together. If they come apart, you get the same symptoms. That setup was not one of Ford's better ideas.

Tom

Reaction score
I dunno how to verify it is a head or gasket or what. I went out and let it idle for like 2 hours. Well it was allot more than one hour anyway.

Never got hot, I mean it came up to normal op temp and runs great.

How do I tell exactly what is wrong? A neighbor came over with a laser temp and said all the cylinders were within10 degrees of each other, and that one would be off if somethings wrong.......

You got me.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
need to do a compression test. Mine would not overheat untill it started working. But a compression test would give a lot of info!