I hate drum brakes

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the rear brakes. Mine had a sticking rear wheel cylinder so while I am doing everything else I am going through all 4 wheels. I learned as a kid to only pull one side at a time but when I pulled the drum off the left rear a broken spring fell out and I really dont want to open the right side till I have the left side done. I need to know which spring is broken so I can try to find a new one.

ps444mike

Reaction score
Lol going thur the same here.. had two broken springs one on each side an a stuck drum :( ended up looking up on Google an typed in 1997 ford f350 drum brakes.. got a few different pics.. an saved onto my phone.both of mine were the long skinny springs they go from shoe to shoe below the axle

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on replacing all the springs with a hardware kit. The kits are relatively cheap and I can honestly say, there aren't that many things that look nicer per dollar than redone drum brakes with all new springs and hardware.

Spend the money: you deserve it :)

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol going thur the same here.. had two broken springs one on each side an a stuck drum :( ended up looking up on Google an typed in 1997 ford f350 drum brakes.. got a few different pics.. an saved onto my phone.both of mine were the long skinny springs they go from shoe to shoe below the axle
Thats what broke on mine too

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To add to my original comment, if you have an older semi floating rear end I would not rebuild them but upgrade to a stronger full floating rear end and rebuild those brakes instead.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just realized that this is for a 1986 F250, don't know if they are the same between bull nose and brick nose but somebody should chime in.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just to clarify my 93' F350 is setup exactly the same as this.

And yes get new spring kits Old springs lose their temper, stretch and break.

steve phillips

Reaction score
this would be a good time to replace steel and rubber brake line, completely to master cylinder. cu-nic line is the only way to go. amazon prices cant be beat on it and include all fittings you will need to go to master cylinder. i always do a complete brake system rebuild on any new idi i get. good piece of mind, especially if you tow. while your there check spring hangers for broken bolts, they happen. best of luck.

ps444mike

Reaction score
I did order the replacement spring kit from rock auto.. well worth it like under ten dollars.. all the springs..

Black dawg

Reaction score
Make sure you replace the self adjuster cables.....they are the most prone to failure part of those brakes

BrianV

Reaction score
Here's a screenshot from the 1988 shop manual, with both the F150 and heavy duty variants!

You must be registered for see images attach