I givey you The Green Monster

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given that I've been making biodiesel for the past 5 years, I'm aware of the issue of quality. 275 is more than enough since I'm not going to be pulling large loads all the time. If I do put a tuner in there, it will be something like a WatchDog or ScanTune II for mileage.

Not knocking your experience, knowledge or skills in making bio, just a fair warning. What ran great and caused no problems in an IDI may bring up issues in a PSD, given the tolerances and pressures.

PSD's run great on it, I've had experience with driving 2 that ran bio, but are sensitive to the quality.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yep $1000 for babyswamps and 1200 for a set of brandnew stockers but its not really that bad when you figure 300-400 for an injector pump and 200-300 for injectors plus a returnline kit and your 1/2 to 3/4 the way there and half the power.

Spencnaz you may want to look at the edge evolution units too they have good tunes and with just an hour to install you get a pyrometer boost gauge tranny temp oil temp air intake temp and a couple more plus you can do custom tuning your self and an extra 100 rwhp

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Not knocking your experience, knowledge or skills in making bio, just a fair warning. What ran great and caused no problems in an IDI may bring up issues in a PSD, given the tolerances and pressures.

PSD's run great on it, I've had experience with driving 2 that ran bio, but are sensitive to the quality.

The 7.3 injectors will run about anything but water and not care as long as its filtered. Me and my buddy have been running wvo for years in our 7.3's sometimes straight with out heat. I got 160K on mine but don't put that many miles on it as all my driving is local but I did have one injector go out but untill more go out I can not blame it on the fuel. My buddy has over 340K on his stockers with atleast 150K on wvo and still going:thumbsup:

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Famous last words LMAO.

Nice truck, hope it serves you well. Put some more power to it, try to squeeze a couple more mpg out of it.

On edit - Might not want to run full on Bio in it, the tolerances are ALOT tighter than IDI's, and the injection pressure can be up to 10x what it is in an IDI, so make sure it's clean, well filtered. I know guys that do it with trucks the same age as yours, but one dirty batch gets expensive, as they've found out themselves.

There are many of us homebrewers who run B100 through 7.3s with no problems what so ever. The problem is that there is so much rampant ignorance about biodiesel and how to make it properly, that most diesel owners will recoil in horrors due to the misinformation that they heard from 'my buddy's brother's roommate' about biodiesel.

I have one fellow homebrewer who has run nearly 100k of B100 through his Powerstroke with no problems what so ever. I've been making biodiesel for 5 years and the biggest problem I had running it in the 6.9 was that the biodiesel liked to eat the fuel shutoff solenoids in the top of the injection pump.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for needing 4wd to get anywhere in the winter, it's not completely needed. A decent set of tires and adequate weight in the back as well as prudent use of the far right pedal will get you through most crap out there. I grew up driving vehicles with pretty slick tires and most weight under the hood, and if you drive right you can get far enough to be stuck right alongside of the 4wd trucks. Maybe even a bit further

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Problem with the bio-diesel is that it will eat any natural rubber in your truck and your engine, it will destroy your injectors. I have seen "clean" B-100 slowly destroy the injectors on a new D-max. you would think in America we would figure it out and start using synthetic rubbers in out diesel engines for B-100 just like Europe has been doing for 10 years. Its a slooooooow and probably painful death

Last edited:

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Ford says ABSOLUTELY no BioD concentration over 5% (5% BioD to 95% ULSD) on there new trucks?

:dunno

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vehicles made after 1994 have Viton components in the fuel injection system. Viton is resistant to biodiesel. If you have rubber hoses in your fuel system, Parker hose carries a whole line of Viton line to replace them.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Ford says ABSOLUTELY no BioD concentration over 5% (5% BioD to 95% ULSD) on there new trucks?

:dunno

This is more of a legal CYA than anything else. Ford can warranty the truck and engine parts but NOT the fuel that the driver puts in it. By limiting the biodiesel blend to 5%, they put the burden on the driver.

Also, if your truck has any sort of DPF on it with a regen cycle, I do not recommend running biodiesel. Various Duramax, Cummins and Powerstrokes have ruined DPF units because of properly made biodiesel plugging the unit.

Until more research is done, different programs for DPF operation, or removal of the DPF (in areas where you can get away with that), just stay away from biodiesel and do all the research you can.

There are some very simple quality tests for biodiesel that you, the consumer, can accomplish to make very sure if your homebrew or commercially bought biodiesel is up to par.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Nice truck, and it ought to give you some nice fuel economy too. A warning tho - this engine should have the powdered-metal connecting rods in it, instead of the forget ones used in the earlier production years, so don't go too crazy on the PCM tune if you decide that you want one. Also, buy chains for the rear axle ;)

change was in oct of 2000

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'll be just fine running Biodiesel in your new truck. Sounds like you know what you're doing, and powerstrokes have been proven to be pretty tolerant of mistakes. Maybe not as tolerant as our IDI's, and not as cheap to fix, but as good as its going to get with any direct injected diesel.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Direct Injection is really the way to go. Not saying that the IDI isn't a good system. DI is better for higher power and reduced emissions.

One of the primary reasons that manufacturers went to DI is that IDI wouldn't meet the emissions regs that were coming up at the time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance