i blew the trans

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you blew the seal out of the front, wait until it cools, add some more fluid and keep trucking.

Our ranch truck, gets hot and blows the seal out. when she cools (6hrs or so later) everything contracts and is normal. refill and keep trucking until we work her too hard and she gets hot and blows again. 245K on orig transmission and still going strong.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you can use google to dig up my files on FTE... how did you do that, I just checked on my user CP and I don't have them uploaded there no more, did someone else post them?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I just googled "e40d torque converter lockup switch" and it had the pdf download link on the first page of results. Maybe it was archived?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know - all I know is there is a very good reason I removed those files from my own posts, and I'll do my best to remove them from other people's posts as well... Hopefully the mods there feel like cooperating.

By the way, do not do the off-auto-lock mod, or even the simple off-lock. At this point the auto-lock is the only one I'd consider safe.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, remove it please. The auto-lock is in the IDI tech articles, if one must use something use that, it's the last of the 3 files Goofyexponent uploaded. Really the whole issue has to do w/ code 62, basically if one uses the "off" mode to manually prevent the converter from locking the PCM will throw code 62 regardless of the dummy signal it's being fed - I do not want to be responsible for people limp-moding their transmissions and potentially causing damage from the resulting extreme line pressure. Auto-lock does not allow the driver to keep the converetr unlocked while the PCM wants otherwise, so it should be safe (it seems to work in my truck at least, it's the only way I found to get rid of the reoccurring code 62).

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. I edited my post to show why I recommend against the other two setups. Quite frankly after years of running full manual off-lock the PCM's operation around 3rd gear is driving me insane, so I may very well disable the automatic control again, but that's my own truck and I know the risks.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I see. I wouldn't want people blaming me because they can't follow directions and recommendations either. I'll probably be putting a e40d in my 88 since I pulled the zf and can get everything I need for cheap/free. Plus my girlfriend wants to drive it and has no intention of learning to drive a 5 speed.