hypermax turbo

dillon

Reaction score
A friend of mine removed a turbo from a truck because it was leaking oil out the exhaust side and the truck was smoking. The guy that owned the truck was selling it and didn’t care about the turbo so he gave him the set up. I told him I would buy it from him because he doesn’t have a truck to put it on. So my ? is how hard would it be to rebuild and were could I purchase the parts? Also the kit is for a auto trans my truck is 4 speed will the exhaust fit or can it be made to fit?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should fit just fine, the kit for an auto needs a transmission dipstick tube that doesn't interfere with the uppipes or downpipe, that's all. As far as rebuilding a turbo, I farmed mine out to Ken at DPS, he did a good job, but predictably he was difficult to get ahold of and took his time with it...in all fairness I told him I didn't need it immediately BIG mistake!! If you feel you have the know how to do it, Hypermax uses some sort of Air Research turbo, Mel Agne probably knows exactly which one it is. Parts should be available and cheap. Figure on around 50-150 bucks for the parts if all it needs is a turbo kit and seals, and it could cost as much as 400-500 dollars if the whole thing is completely lunched. Oh, a turbo kit is about 1.5 hours of labor at a shop or you could send it to a place like Majestic Turbo that just charges a flat rate of 300-400 bucks and does whatever it needs and it comes back balanced and maybe with a warranty.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't need any special parts for it to fit with a T19, it appears that's the only Ford Diesel tranny that needs no mods to run with a turbo. If you get this definitely call Hypermax and get a set of directions, they probably will send you a set for free, while they are not very good, they're a place to start, rely even more on Mel's article on installing these things, he's done it to the Moose and Lady Moose, so he knows Hypermax's stuff pretty well.

dillon

Reaction score
Thanks Diesel JD. I’m glad to hear it will fit with my trans. Were can I get the rebuild kits? What do they included seals and bearings? I think I could rebuild it. Is there more to it than taking it apart and replacing the seals and bearings? I herd the truck run before it was removed and it sounded good it just made the truck smoke bad. I was also reading that the oil may have came from a bad cdr. I wish I would have thought of that before he took it off. We could of unhooked the cdr and seen if it cleared up.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
check and see if there is a tag on the turbo indicating its manufacture info. Then look up turbo rebuilders on line.

Or call hypermax and they'll probably have the info you need.

I had an early hypermax that I sold to Rob Wick (69oiler) that needed rebuilt. A local shop in Ft Wayne quoted me 175 bucks.

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Hypermax's install instructions in PDF format. Anyone needing them, let me know via PM.
Thanks<
Jerry

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe they used a mix of Garrett or Air Research over the years. Calling Hypermax is your best bet, as they have excellent tech support. One thing you need to make sure of is if that turbo is actually leaking. When I got the one for the Lady Moose, it looked like it was leaking out the exhaust side. Hypermax told me to try running it, and it might stop leaking. Apearantly the seal needs exhaust presure to actually seal, so when you shut one down, and handle it, it could actually look like it leaks when it doesn't. The one I put in Lady is doing fine despite it's initial appearance.

dillon

Reaction score
I think I remember him saying it was a garrett. I'll have to see if there is a tag on it. When I get some free time I'll find out some more info on it and see how cheap I can get it. Thanks for the info so far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online