Hypermax Smoke Puff Limiter

lpennock

Reaction score
Any experience with the Hypermax Smoke Puff Limiter? How hard is it to install? Does it make it any easier to pass the snap idle emission test?

Black dawg

Reaction score
should be pretty simple to install. I wonder how adjustable they are?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Any experience with the Hypermax Smoke Puff Limiter? How hard is it to install? Does it make it any easier to pass the snap idle emission test?

PAssing the snap test is one of their most popular uses. I had a long conversation with the guy who designed the thing at Hypermax. Soon as cash allows, I'll be getting one, but not for emissions purposes, for fuel economy. THe things are supposed to be easy to adjust, they are designed like a Bosch anaeroid setup. Installation doesn't seem too horribly difficult.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I'm so happy we don't have those inspections here in Florida. Thanks Jeb Bush. I would like to know if adding a turbo to my '86 E350 will really give me more than the 15 MPG is doing now. I was told that you really see a difference if you do a lot of towing or ride on hills. Are the benefits worth the investment?
Thanks. Burt.

lpennock

Reaction score
PAssing the snap test is one of their most popular uses. I had a long conversation with the guy who designed the thing at Hypermax. Soon as cash allows, I'll be getting one, but not for emissions purposes, for fuel economy. THe things are supposed to be easy to adjust, they are designed like a Bosch anaeroid setup. Installation doesn't seem too horribly difficult.

Any idea about how much mileage improvement you can get?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I guess if adjusted right, it would be ok. I've driven a 96 cummins 12 valve that must have had its AFC adjusted wrong cause it was a pain to drive. Couldnt give it any throttle until it was past about 1200rpm's. Made for rough starts pulling a trailer, and trying to start out going uphill.

If you want to pass a snap test....you can always do it the free way and turn your pump waaay down.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Any idea about how much mileage improvement you can get?

I won't know that till I get one. I've worked on European diesels for years and the bosch pumps on the turbo engines had these things and they are wonderful . I often wondered why stanadyne didn't have something similar , and the guy at Hypermax had come to the same conclusion. You floor it getting on the freeway and all you get is a little light puff out the exhaust, it waits till you have the boost built up to match the fuel to feed it in. When set properly, those things can actually increase your power output since you aren't just flooding the engine with fuel that there isn't enough air for ( no you don't get to look at cool plumes of black smoke so some folks think they are loosing power, but if set properly, that is not the case) The Hypermax units were designed to perform just like the Bosch units
Some people have complained of power loss, but it when questioned, they had not tried to calibrate the things.
You have to set it to your engine. it has a diaphram that senses your vacuum/boost condition and adjusts fuel output accordingly

So as you can see, even the most steady foot can't compensate as well especially as much as these things bounce

We take a lot of long trips towing heavy and I want one so I can have my pump turned up a bit for when really needed, but know that it will not be sucking down extra fuel when not needed.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of spending this i would just be a little more easy with the foot i think u could acheave the same thing this way, all it really does is keeps u from giving it extra fuel until the set rpm but iam pritty shure we can acheave this using our foot

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's rpm set then why the pressure diaphram? Seems to be a conflict there. Does the extra screw on the factory turbo pump act the same way? I was told it limits fuel till a certain rpm.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An AFC control is a wonderful thing, after much tinkering, I have my Cummins(ve pmp) tuned for almost no smoke, but, it still makes in the mid 30's for boost. With how mine is set up currently, it doesn't really get into delivering big amounts of fuel until around 10 psi. The truck is actually quicker with it set up this way, dumping big amounts of fuel without the boost to burn it will actually slow the spool of the turbo as it actually cools the exhaust, reducing the amount of energy available to spin the turbo.
Also, with this setup, you can use more pedal off the line, which means you can get into the timing advance without dumping black smoke, this means better economy, and it should make for a gain in power and drive-ability.
Why Stanadyne didn't make this setup for the DB-2 is pretty simple, all of the factory turbo engines I've seen the pump on have been industrial/steady state applications, where loading and rpm are reasonably constant and emissions weren't as stringent.
5.9 Cummins in AG/heavy equipment apps don't have an AFC control on them either.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'm so happy we don't have those inspections here in Florida. Thanks Jeb Bush. I would like to know if adding a turbo to my '86 E350 will really give me more than the 15 MPG is doing now. I was told that you really see a difference if you do a lot of towing or ride on hills. Are the benefits worth the investment?
Thanks. Burt.

Turbo allows you to run the engine slower a gear or two lower for more fuel economy.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll only notice much improvement in fuel economy if you are really working the living daylights out of that engine in NA form. If you want better economy you need overdrive the more gear choices the better.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Instead of spending this i would just be a little more easy with the foot i think u could acheave the same thing this way, all it really does is keeps u from giving it extra fuel until the set rpm but iam pritty shure we can acheave this using our foot

That's not how it works. It has nothing to do with RPMS, it is dependendent on the vacuum or boost present in the manifold to tell it how much fuel to inject. This way you could reach 10lbs at 1700 rpm if under load on a hill and be getting full fuel, but if on flat ground and empty and you floored it at 1700 you might only build 1-2 lbs boost and you would be fueled accordingly. Your foot is not capable of achieving that kind of efficiency. Believe me, I had my own big truck for years and when you are paying the fuel bill for a 1693 Cat out of pocket, you gain the steadiest foot on the planet, but it's just not possible to out manuver an anaeroid that is constantly adjusting for every little change in manifold pressure and keeping you perfectly fueled for it.