Hydrogen generator hybrid IDI?

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive seen these kits on ebay and such. My buddy put one on is chevy 350 and is getting about 25mpg up from 15 or so. I was wondering if anyone has added these hybrid kits to there IDI and if so with what type of results and how hard was the install?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Ive seen these kits on ebay and such. My buddy put one on is chevy 350 and is getting about 25mpg up from 15 or so. I was wondering if anyone has added these hybrid kits to there IDI and if so with what type of results and how hard was the install?
I might look into this?;Really

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard all the buzz about this deal, but have yet to see or read anything that really explains what is going on. I went to "howstuffworks" on the web, and didn't find any good articles there either. Can somebody fill us ignorant types in, and does anybody remember the Hindenburg? LOL

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Didn't Mythbusters try this and found a generator that could fit inside a vehicle couldn't produce enough, quick enough, to make a difference? Then they hooked the carb up to a bottle of hydrogen and it did run, but they had to use way more than one of those generators could produce.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Didn't Mythbusters try this and found a generator that could fit inside a vehicle couldn't produce enough, quick enough, to make a difference? Then they hooked the carb up to a bottle of hydrogen and it did run, but they had to use way more than one of those generators could produce.

Yup, but they werent trying to supliment the gas with hydrogen, they were trying to run the car on nothing but hydrogen.....and that wont work with a hydrogen generator. Its just there to increase fuel milage.

Its basic electrolysis. There are lots of variations, but the basics are this. By putting in two electrodes, one hooked up to a negative, and one to a positive, and submerse it in water (with electrolytes in it, pure water is a horrible conducter of water, its all the stuff that floats around in between of the H2O molecules that make it conduct electricity. A common one people use is baking soda). Then you pass current through the water. In turn, the bonds between the hydrogen and oxygen will break apart, and hydrogen molecules will go to the negative side (because it has a positive charge, remember opposites react), and oxygen will go to the positive side. The molecules will then form together because both are diatomic (dont know if that has anything to do with it, but I'll throw that in there. Means that a hydrogen molecule wont just stay by itself, it will almost always bond with another hydrogen to make H2, same with oxygen, O2). When enough of the molecules form together, then "bubbles" will form (of hydrogen, and oxygen gas), and will float to the top because both are lighter than water. You then route that into the intake, and supposidly it will yeild better fuel economy.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I found this comment on the last page (#45);
I am over 4 liters per minute right now, and I am not going to waste my time mounting that on my truck.

6.9 liters displacement, /2 for a 4 cycle engine = 3.45 liter per revolution of the engine.
At 2000 RPM that turns into 6900 liter per minute.
At 14 PSI boost, you are now looking at 13800 liters per minute at 2000 RPM.
At 20 PSI that increases to 16560 liters per minute.

4 liters per minute added to 16556 liters of air per minute = .02416% HHO which is basically a trace gas.

Seems like a lot of talk, but not a practical device at this time.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I found this comment on the last page (#45);
I am over 4 liters per minute right now, and I am not going to waste my time mounting that on my truck.

6.9 liters displacement, /2 for a 4 cycle engine = 3.45 liter per revolution of the engine.
At 2000 RPM that turns into 6900 liter per minute.
At 14 PSI boost, you are now looking at 13800 liters per minute at 2000 RPM.
At 20 PSI that increases to 16560 liters per minute.

4 liters per minute added to 16556 liters of air per minute = .02416% HHO which is basically a trace gas.

Seems like a lot of talk, but not a practical device at this time.

4 liters per minute is awsome....and bet me it would make a difference. Think about how much fuel is going in....its not even close to 16556liters per minute....that just air from the atmosphere. Lets say that going WOT, that my truck gets 3mpg, doing 90mph. Thats 30 gallons per hour of fuel used to go those 90miles. 30gallons converted to liters is 113.55liters per hour...so 1.8925 liters per minute. Granted, the liters per minute would go up because of I would be turning 3300rpms....it would be along the lines of 27317liters per minute. So the percentage of fuel would be .00006927%....which aint much (I think my math is wrong somewhere), but you get the idea. It may seem like a very small amount, but it would make a difference.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Ehhh,Browns Fuel,HHO,Water burning car is all a big SCAM!Just a Get rich quick selling BS blue print and info setup.Only person that HHO works for is the guy selling the information.You would need a Massive amount of Electricity to separate enough of the H and O atoms to run a car.Where is this power gonna come from?Batteriers?How will they be recharged?Alternator?Extra Alternators?Where will the motion to power these alternators come from?The engine.You ain't gonna get free energy.The extra power sources will pull down the engine and counter act the gained mileage.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way the kit worked that I saw hooked up on my buddys truck takes the gas from the charged water/baking soda and sends it into the itake. I guess it would work similar to a propane kit for us. He did pick up allot of milage. Again you dont shut your fuel off or anything like that. you simply add gasses to the intake that help burn the gas your using more effeciently. The kits on ebay are made for motors around 3.9L and down but they claim to use 2 kits on bigger motors and acheive the same results. I have seen kits for 18 wheelers sell for $1200.00 or more. To me these companies would go under if there products didnt work.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Yup, but they werent trying to supliment the gas with hydrogen, they were trying to run the car on nothing but hydrogen.....and that wont work with a hydrogen generator. Its just there to increase fuel milage. QUOTE]

That sounds better. It's been a while since I saw it.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
the big misunderstanding is people think you run the vehicle on the hydrogen but you don't you just use enough hydrogen to make the fuel you burn more efficient the way I understand it is the hydrogen takes more to ignite then gas but once it does it burns really fast helping to burn all your fuel befor the exhaust valve opens dumping it out as polution

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Ehhh,Browns Fuel,HHO,Water burning car is all a big SCAM!Just a Get rich quick selling BS blue print and info setup.Only person that HHO works for is the guy selling the information.You would need a Massive amount of Electricity to separate enough of the H and O atoms to run a car.Where is this power gonna come from?Batteriers?How will they be recharged?Alternator?Extra Alternators?Where will the motion to power these alternators come from?The engine.You ain't gonna get free energy.The extra power sources will pull down the engine and counter act the gained mileage.

I've typed my fingers to the bone on a couple other forums dispelling this myth.
Yes, you will use a touch more fuel overall, to cover what extra drag the alternator produces.
However, you still see a significant decrease in operating costs, because you're trading some of the rediculously expensive fuel for some rediculously cheap fuel.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A man should be able to build his own one of these. Also could you use an extra battery or two for your electricity instead of dragging down the alt.? I'm told don't use salt as the catalyst since it will make chlorine gas in the process.