How to remove rear window?

02AutoWag

Reaction score
I just purchased a sleeper cap for the truck. How do I remove the rear sliding window?

I suppose I should ask if it's even advisable to remove the window given the apparent difficulty in getting replacement parts. Is this a one time seal, or can I put it back in if I don't like this sleeper.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
russ-
is it a sliding rear window?
if it is, remove the lock strip and lube up the window and gasket and push outwards from the inside.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gimme a moment here
i will go snap a pic of one.
take a look at the two pics.
the one on the left has no lock strip
the one on the right does. its the chrome/faded part in the center.

Attachments

• SL376423.JPG
    SL376423.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 16
  • SL376424.JPG
    SL376424.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 16

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I've always just used a 2-3 screwdrivers to pry the glass out. I have re-used the seals before without incident as well. It's amazing how much the glass flexes.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Grease up the back side (inside) of the locking strip, get a large screw driver or pry bar and curl the locking strip from the inside to the outside of the cab. I only have to do this in one spot and then I just push on it all the way around until it pops out.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've removed 3 and installed 2. Just did some recently. I never bother removing the lock strip to do either, and I didn't lube to remove. It helps if two people do it. have one guy get his fingers behind the rubber flange on the outside, and you push from the inside. Start near a bottom corner. The key is to avoid bending the window to the point where the glass will crack or break, so you must go slow and look for bends that need to be relieved by pressing where it is bending. You will need to do the top and bottom evenly. That is to say, you don't pop the bottom out first, and then the top. Do both above and below at the same time. Yes you can put it back in later if you need to. I took the rear window out of the Moose Truck back in 95, and it was stored since then. Just the other weekend, we put it in the Night Moose (Matthias wanted the slider - his didn't have it). The rubber was still pliable and didn't crack or get brittle. Pretty good for 26 year old rubber. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08