How to Clean Engine (properly) for Fixing Oil Leaks

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've finally gotten the big things on my truck, that I'm aware of, addressed so now I'm looking for oil leaks. This truck had a bad fuel leak from the fuel pump and a very bad oil leak from the oil dipstick adapter for quite some time. the PO had been using the truck sparingly towards the end as well and it sat for a while. So, the truck is filthy.
Does do you PEOPERLY clean up an engine? There's obviously a lot of electrical stuff in there and 20 year old plastic get brittle. I know I have quite a bit of oil seepage on the engine, there are zero puddles left wherever I park, and I have some good ideas on the sources but I need to narrow them down without chucking a bunch of money (which I don't have) at the possible problems.

1995 Ford F250 SCLB 4wd ZF5 7.3L PSD, stock.

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take it to the carwash and blast it off.just dont directly spray the alternator.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gunk degreaser gel, spray on and let sit. Hit the bad areas with a brush. Hose off with low pressure nozzle. If still difficult to pinpoint you can sprinkle baby powder in the suspect areas and it will show right up.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conecentrated Simple Green- Industrial Degreaser and Cleaner.

Works very well, and as a plus, I don't even have to feel bad for dumping toxic chemicals everywhere!

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the above has worked for
me. Even used simple green in a bucket with a sponge, scraper, and wire brush when my only option was a place that made you clean everything up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V8BBGER

Reaction score
Best works without real work is mom's oven cleaner. Just spray it on, wait until it has done it's work and then just rinse it off with a garden hose.

See you...

Ronny

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oven cleaner eats aluminum...
water will not neutralize it

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Purple power. I like to do it with the engine warm.
I've heard good things about simple green.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk