How to adjust high idle selenoid

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my new ip my cold idle is only 800 rpm. I'd like to bring it up to 1100 were it used to be.

There isn't really any room to slide to bracket forward from the looks of it.

Is there anyway to adjust the solenoid arm to go out more?

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, turn the end of the actuator rod with a 5/16 wrench I believe. The rod is actually threaded into the solenoid and turning it in or out is actually what ajusts it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above is correct but the nut on the contact end of the solenoid is 1/4 inch. Also id you loosen the two bolts securing the bracket to the injection pump most times you can move it forwards enough to make rpm adjustments. The threads are a fine thread so it tales plenty of turns to move it.

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys!

Just getting back to daily driving it and it takes forever to warm up at the lower rpm.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Just like they said. It's a 1/4".

On mine i had some wiggle room in the bracket bolts so i'd try to move that first cause if you back the rod out too far it could fall out.... (like mine did...) :D

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip.

So i have a question where is this spot where you use the quarter inch wrench. The bolts looking thing on the front of the rod looks far to small.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
There is a hex right where it touches the IP throttle lever. It looks too small, but a 1/4" wrench fits it. They are standard right hand threads.

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine last spring, I backed the screw in/out push rod from the solenoid in a good amount, then used screw driver to set the warm idle speed to where I wanted it (~675 rpm), then turned the cold idle push rod out leaving a business card gap from it to the bracket it pushes on. This gives as much push as the cold idle solenoid can give (on mine ~ 800 - 900 rpm). Turned out farther, it will hold the throttle slightly open when it is not activated (bottomed out, fully in) giving too fast of a warm idle speed.