How much is enough fuel?

Suddenly

Reaction score
I believe the factory turbo has a v band clamp on the elbow on the back of the turbo that holds the downpipe on.
I’ll take a look when it’s light out thanks. After that’s tight I’ll try the vacuum method to check for any more leaks. Does using a vacuum to push air through the exhaust work beyond the downpipe? Is there a proper way to see if my up pipes, crossover etc are sealed?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Does using a vacuum to push air through the exhaust work beyond the downpipe?
It would if the down pipe is sealed well. One way to check for joint seal/boost leak is to look for soot wherever two pipes meet. Also, check for leaks between the turbo and intake. Look for oil around where the turbo seals against the intake hat and look for oil running down the top of the intake where the intake hat sits on it. Another possibility is the bolt that holds the intake hat onto the intake manifold. If it's not tight or the washer underneath doesn't have a good seal, then you won't be getting full boost into the engine.

Suddenly

Reaction score
Well my plans have been put on hold for a while as we just got our first big snowfall today. Will report back with my findings when weather permits

Suddenly

Reaction score
Am I looking at the downpipe here? Is it stock? I don’t see anywhere to tighten it up and there’s a lot of soot here. Maybe 1/8 or more of play. Is the part with the 12 points the elbow followed by the dp?

You must be registered for see images attach

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be an ats 93 turbo kit. Its very similar to the factory turbo (factory is a modified ats 93 turbo) this uses a slip joint instead of a v band clamp. To seal this version you will need to use the copper rtv on the slip joint.

Suddenly

Reaction score
That would be an ats 93 turbo kit. Its very similar to the factory turbo (factory is a modified ats 93 turbo) this uses a slip joint instead of a v band clamp. To seal this version you will need to use the copper rtv on the slip joint.
Oh cool. I thought this was a factory turbo truck. Is one or the other a better turbo? I’ll have to do some research now as I thought this was factory. This truck has been one discovery after another as far as mods go. Thanks I’ll see what I can do about sealing it up.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I didn't remember the differences in the way that the down pipe connects. I did remember the v clamp on the Factory Turbo down pipe and thought that the 093 was the same. I guess I would have figured it out when I pulled the 093 off of my ex wife.

Is one or the other a better turbo?
In theory, the 093 is better. it has a larger exhaust outlet and the down pipe isn't flattened out like on the Factory Turbo. In reality, in unmodified form, there probably isn't much difference. If you want to use this to it's full potential, then I'll bet you'd see a difference.

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only major difference between the factory turbo and the 093 is the down pipe. the factory one has a collapsed 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 pipe where the 093 has a completely round 3" downpipe.

Suddenly

Reaction score
Any tips on resealing the DP? Try and take the dp out the bottom or take the elbow out the top

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say pull the downpipe down then reseal it. The elbow bolts are most likely corroded to the point they would be difficult to remove.

Suddenly

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I found time to get under the truck today and this is what I find. No wonder the DP isn’t sealing. Held on with plumber strap. I don’t have the tools to fab something up to bolt to the downpipe, is there something missing I could buy? Might just take it to an exhaust shop and have them reseal and properly bolt in the DP.

there is a LOT of soot around the area in these pictures but I can’t tell if it’s from the downpipe or the other parts of the system.

Is it the crossover pipe that goes below and across? Then attaches to what? Is there some sort of resource that can help me identify engine/exhaust related parts?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Judging by the location of the soot I'd be inclined to say that crossover pipe isn't sealing well.

You can look up a parts diagram for the turbo system to help identify parts, but here's the gist...

Driver exhaust manifold feeds the crossover pipe, which goes to the driver's side and attaches to a cast Y that (i believe) bolts to the passenger side exhaust manifold and goes up to the pedestal that the turbo bolts to.

Downpipe leaks will not cause you to lose boost so that wouldn't bother me too much at this point.

Suddenly

Reaction score
Downpipe leaks will not cause you to lose boost so that wouldn't bother me too much at this point.

Thanks for the clarification, this thread has kinda become my all around exhaust leaks thread. I’m not too concerned about the downpipe now performance wise, however with it being winter I’m using the hvac system a lot more and I get that exhaust smell inside.

I’ll take a look at that crossover connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online