how much boost

idibeast

Reaction score
Hey guys I just got my 85 f250 put back together, and I am trying to put a new Turbo on her. During the rebuild, I put a set of arp headstuds in, hoping to get to 20 psi. My question is, is this possible without decompression? If not what do you guys think about less but with a 75 shot of nitrous. Thanks for any info.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The turbo will be out of it map at that pressure boost. Maybe some window washer fluid will work better. Thats nothing more than methonel and water.. You fog it into the intake manifold.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NMB2 ran his first build up close to 20. The studs will hold it if you did it right, but if it is a big 3 kit turbo, then icanfixall is right, the compressor will be marginal or completely inefficient above 12-13 psi without an IC or water injection.

idibeast

Reaction score
The Turbo I have for it is a hx35 mounted in the bed, not one of the kits, what is y'alls thought on nitrous?

wmoguy

Reaction score
The Turbo I have for it is a hx35 mounted in the bed, not one of the kits, what is y'alls thought on nitrous?

Cool to see another remote mount setup! ;Sweet

Your not going to have any trouble making 20+psi out of that turbo on a 6.9. Whether it ends up feeding it enough air is the question thats not yet been answered.

Nitrous: Whats your goal for using it? Cool things down? Power? Both?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I don't know that nitrous would be worth it on a diesel. I mean, it's not going to make a significant difference to the temp of the intake charge, and adding more oxygen isn't going to give you much without adding more fuel. Will it? Even with more fuel, I'd think egt's would go through the ROOF.

They did it on an OOOLlllld episode of trucks, but he fogged it with propane. Even then the nitrous didn't add much more than the propane by itself.

just my 2 cents.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitrous will help make a lil power and wll help clear up smoke on the bottom end. It will also help with spooling the turbo. Its works a lot better with more fuel though...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HX35 and a remote mount? Well that is a whole different story. You just have to map the compressor and see how 20 PSI looks on it's map with an IDI. I find them a bit confusing so far. I have no doubt you'd be ok at 20 though. Like I say, the studsm gaskets and hard parts will take it without a whimper if you put it all together right, it's still a question of how efficient is that turbo there.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barney did it first. He had dual turbos, a Moose Pump and pushed 21 pounds. It was on a rebuilt DPS motor that had a mis-aligned cooling jet which fried a cylinder. But an intercooler would really be ideal.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Barney's truck was definitely making more power but definitely coulda used more fuel for sure. His truck had really low egts, so there was definitely more to be had. His turbo setup did seems pretty efficient too. I look forward to seeing what Ron does with the engine. It'll be pretty cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online