How much low end boost?

Chuckanut245

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m thinking of turboing my 6.2. I’m going to be lowering the compression to 18:1 but I heard somewhere from somebody that the 6.2 and 6.5s don’t like low end boost because they might blow up due to the bore and stroke of the engine. Is this true? Also sense it will be 18:1 compression wouldn’t that help the issue?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Low-end boost is difficult to tune for with the stanadyne pump. It's not a Bosch with an AFC device.

You basically have to size the turbo for the top rpm/fuel-rate and get-what-you-get on the lower end. A wastegated turbo does help some, but what you gain in responsiveness is a burden at high load for egts.

As for cylinder pressures, the 6.2 can't handle what the 6.9/7.3 or other direct-injection diesels can. It's just not that beefy.

Last edited:

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a n/a 6.5, dont turbo the old n/A’s mate the metallurgy in them is terrible and they crack bad. Even with brand new optimiser heads on mine I will not turbo as the blocks are weakly made too. If you want a turbo you’ll have to get a newer optimiser engine or you’ll loose ur reliability big time. People here in aust have been supercharging them, equally as bad, have read bulk cranks and heads going. The optimiser engines are built totally different and can run up too 300hp in the later ones and p400’s