How does it come off???

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently trying to install a lift kit in my driveway and cannot seem to get the pitman arm to come off. I removed the nut, used penatrating oil, tried a puller that was probably too small and no go. Anybody have any tricks?

Thanks,

-Rob

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Pitman arm puller and a Impact have always worked for me.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
A BIG puller.Not a puny little Honda sized jobber....and a little heat applied to just the old arm.Not the shaft.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
It's tough to get off. Last time i did mine i had to use every trick in the book, and then all of a sudden when i was about to give up because i had used the last of my strength and it looked like the puller was about to rip apart, the pitman arm exploded off the shaft finally...

RedTruck

Reaction score
I can't remember for sure, but I think I got mine off with a bar on one side and a rap with a hammer on the other side. It actually came off really easily.

Paul

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Hammer

Hit it with a shop hammer on the side where it goes on the shaft. I helped a friend do this once and we tried for two hours and couldnt budge it. Another friend came over and hit it once and viola! Takes a good whack but it should work.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I just did this on My old gear box with a 12 year old pitman arm (really stuck) and knowing it would be hard I started spraying it with pb blaster (thank You Mel I still have the same can ;Sweet ) then hit it with a 2 pound hammer a few times and or course air tools and a pitman arm puller, it took some time but I got it all out in one piece and reused it on the new gear box.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use pb blaster. Use and air hammer. If they dont work time to get the bfh and knock the crap out of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle