How about tuning your engine using the glow plugs???

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
Basically all you are doing is fine tuning your engine! You may net better mpg, HP, Lower EGT's and so on. A good way to getting to know your Diesel and how it operates and why......

I love a fine tuned engine!!! Its like a BBF 428 with a solid roller cam in it. You keep playing around with it until its ****!!! And you know it when you hear it. BUT it does take time and a few years experience with engines.

I'm a guy who loves to tinker and get down to the nuts and bolts of things. I like to have a better understand of how things work and tune it to the nats ass LOL. But some people are just happy with what they got. Me......I like to have a little more LOL.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Basically all you are doing is fine tuning your engine! You may net better mpg, HP, Lower EGT's and so on. A good way to getting to know your Diesel and how it operates and why......

I love a fine tuned engine!!! Its like a BBF 428 with a solid roller cam in it. You keep playing around with it until its ****!!! And you know it when you hear it. BUT it does take time and a few years experience with engines.

I'm a guy who loves to tinker and get down to the nuts and bolts of things. I like to have a better understand of how things work and tune it to the nats ass LOL. But some people are just happy with what they got. Me......I like to have a little more LOL.

I agree with you one what it would net. But I think for the time spent, you wont see much of an improvement. Thats just me though. Until we see someone who actually figures out how to do it, and does it to their truck, and see what it actually does, I will stick with my theory :D

I can see lower the EGT's as a way to get better fuel economy...that's probably the major part of it.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
I agree with you one what it would net. But I think for the time spent, you wont see much of an improvement. Thats just me though. Until we see someone who actually figures out how to do it, and does it to their truck, and see what it actually does, I will stick with my theory :D

I can see lower the EGT's as a way to get better fuel economy...that's probably the major part of it.

Thats cool. I just like to get a little more out of mine with what I got. It just adds to your experience level and notice the smallest thing going on is all.

I would be willing to bet that when you are older that you may find yourself doing the same thing LOL. Then again........Maybe not! LOL

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What gets me is that the guy has already done the leg work and has the formula down. why the heck doesn't he either just cut loose with the method to success in the matter , or shut the #*%^Y$$! up and sell a book instead of playing 200 questions cookoo

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a WAG on my part

Like a lot us here and on FTE I have been following the Glowplug Supertuning thread and I could very well be completly wrong but it seems to me the whole point of using the glowplugs as thermalcouple sensors is to first get baseline readings at operating temp idle and then throughout the whole operating range of the engine. Once you have these baseline readings you can then compare them to any new readings you get after doing any mods to the engine to see if you are achieving your desired performance gains. If you have an EGT gauge then you can then use its readings as well to check for performance gains as well as any relationship between the glowplug readings and the EGT readings. Now what would really clear things up would be if someone who has deep pockets and time to spare would do these readings and then back them up with dyno runs to verify what works and what doesn't.
Any volunteers?;Sweet :rotflmao :hail

Jim

sassyrel

Reaction score
im again with 428cj--read it--if you dont like it--THROW IT OUT--and quit knocking the guy--he just relates what he has done--and until youve done it exactly the way he says--thru every step--what makes you qualified to tear that guy apart????--so he has a ladder hes standing on--so what??? if you get any gain , and it costs near nothing, whats the problem??????? some people need to get a life---you didnt invent the lightbulb--but you can critique it????? uh huh------

FordGuy100

Reaction score
im again with 428cj--read it--if you dont like it--THROW IT OUT--and quit knocking the guy--he just relates what he has done--and until youve done it exactly the way he says--thru every step--what makes you qualified to tear that guy apart????--so he has a ladder hes standing on--so what??? if you get any gain , and it costs near nothing, whats the problem??????? some people need to get a life---you didnt invent the lightbulb--but you can critique it????? uh huh------

You my friend, need to take a chill pill.

As far as I got reading it, he was the only one that had done anything to any of his vehicles, and claims it made a difference. That is fine and dandy, but until I read up that others besides himeself, have gone through and done his procedures and reported back with some gains in anything, I wont be a believer. Kinda like the diesel secret stuff, can you fully trust that it isnt a gimic by some guy who drags it on and on, and doesnt give an absolute, end all answer. The answer to that is ones own opinion, in which mine is no.

There is nothing wrong with getting a gain, but from what I read, he was the only person who had done it, and truthfully, I cant trust just one person.

You have to realize that we are on the internet here, and we all could be BS'ing each other. I mean for all you know I could be driving a chevy gasser right? There is no credible proof that I own an IDI, maybe I just got the pics of my truck off the internet somewhere.

There are people out there that might, just maybe, mess around with other people. I know I have on the internet... granted, I havent done that here, or for that matter any site that was about diesels, but on other sites, I have logged in and written some pretty stupid stuff with my buddies sitting beside me laughing there arses off.

I'm not calling the guy a liar, or that his stuff doesnt work. Right now, I'm on the fence, it could work, and that would be great if it did, but I would have to see more than 1 person do it and report back gains.

Just my $.02, take it for what its worth ;Sweet

Last edited:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
sassyrel, I've no problem with the guy or his method of checking cylinder temps.

We always used injector pop testers and IR guns to do basically the same thing.
Proper popping injectors and even cylinder temps is just good engine maintenance.
On our 149's we set valves and adjust injectors regularly, temp readings are recorded hourly.

One thing an IR gun will give you is temp where you want it.
Having a perfect cylinder temp and having a valve partially burned kinda makes your glowplug reading worthless.

I dunno, I guess it's a really simple way to get a mediocre reading of the precombustion chamber. But if I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with a knock and a multimeter maybe it'll help me..... of course only if an engine has glowplugs, which most of my diesels do not.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Number one: I'm not reading 30 pages.

Number two: While this sounds very nice in theroy........what is the reality of it???? Is there really ANY BENEFIT for all this "supertuning"?? Without really knowing the answer.........it is still theroy and nothing more. One dude's opinion DOES NOT make it fact.

Number three: Some folks need to take it easy.......Can't people give their opinion without getting all bent out of shape because you don't agree. We are all adults.:D

Heath

Last edited:

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WHAT THE . . . I JUST WISH THE WRITER WOULD SPELL IT OUT, EXPLAIN HOW TO ACTUALLY TUNE THE IDI. IT'S GREAT THAT HE KNOW SO MUCH, BUT DRAGING IT OUT, AND I NEVER DID GET ANY ENDING OUT OF IT??

SO HOW DO YOU TUNE THE IDI. OKAY, I GET THE THERMO PART. BUT I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO TO IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE. THERE WAS THIS LITTLE PIECE ABOUT CHANGING THE INJECTOR POP POINT, BUT NOTHING ON HOW, WHEN, WHY, OR ANY OTHER TUNE INFORMATION. IF ANYBODY ELSE HAS SOME GOOD INFORMATION, COULD YOU JUST PLEASE GIVE IT WITHOUT THE TUNE IN NEXT WEEK, WHEN BOBBY . . . .

FordGuy100

Reaction score
WHAT THE . . . I JUST WISH THE WRITER WOULD SPELL IT OUT, EXPLAIN HOW TO ACTUALLY TUNE THE IDI. IT'S GREAT THAT HE KNOW SO MUCH, BUT DRAGING IT OUT, AND I NEVER DID GET ANY ENDING OUT OF IT??

SO HOW DO YOU TUNE THE IDI. OKAY, I GET THE THERMO PART. BUT I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO TO IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE. THERE WAS THIS LITTLE PIECE ABOUT CHANGING THE INJECTOR POP POINT, BUT NOTHING ON HOW, WHEN, WHY, OR ANY OTHER TUNE INFORMATION. IF ANYBODY ELSE HAS SOME GOOD INFORMATION, COULD YOU JUST PLEASE GIVE IT WITHOUT THE TUNE IN NEXT WEEK, WHEN BOBBY . . . .

Why are you yelling....LOL just joking, but turn those caps lock off ;Sweet

I'm with you, if he spent the time, and just explained everything in one post, it would help out alot.

You can change pop pressure, by adjusting the spring inside of the injector. He was also talking about adding spacers to the injectors, and removing spacers, ect....as well.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
Just putting the info out there. I do plan on trying it and see what happens. I think it will be a good learning experience myself. Each to there own....JMHO

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
marq, take an injector apart sometime.
there isn't much to them.
a spring, a seat, some spacers and the tip.

spring tension (partially controlled by spacers) determines pop off pressure.
take a spacer out and obviously pressure is less on the seat, add a spacer and pressure is more.
easy to understand.