hole in piston! What would you do?

wftree

Reaction score
Finally planned a trip south, 100 miles from home engine starts knocking. Long story involving a single sentance where my wife counted 5 "f" bombs while I talked to AAA. They finally relented and did tow my truck.

Short story # 6 has zero compression. Most likely a piece of injector punched a hole. Possible cylinder scoring . Stealer recommends a new engine.

Of course an engine is BIG bucks.

Questions???????

Can you get a motor from Ford without PM rods???

For the same money can I get a performance engine from any sponsor???

I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!

Just thought I would ask what you guys would do??

WFTREE

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is Ford quoting you for a reman? How many miles on your block? Have you pulled the head and looked at #6 hole to see if there is just piston damage or if there is block damage too? If the block looks good I'd drop a new set of pistons in her and re-bearing the botom end. I've seen re-man'd shortblocks for $3500.00 from one of the diesel guys.

jvencius

Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker
What is Ford quoting you for a reman? How many miles on your block? Have you pulled the head and looked at #6 hole to see if there is just piston damage or if there is block damage too? If the block looks good I'd drop a new set of pistons in her and re-bearing the botom end. I've seen re-man'd shortblocks for $3500.00 from one of the diesel guys.

If I had to pull the engine, I'd stuff a Cummins 12v under the hood instead. Check out http://www.fordcummins.com

Just my woden nickel's-worth of advice.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of you troubles......
99.5 model year?well It's apparent the inj prolly took out the piston............are you dead in the water {away from home}?

It's doubtful the block sufferd any damage........Do you have time and $$$ to rebuild or are you at the mercy of whomever.......
No harm/No foul, just an honest question.

mebee time for a reliable 450 hp engine:smoke:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well in my experience Ford (any dealer) is expensive. You might see about finding a junk yard engine and do the plug n play thing then if you want you can take your old one and play monster garage with it's lower end one piece at a time. That is an option if you have some space in the garage and the time to devote to it (2 weekends I'm sure because of all the wiring).

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, let me say I'm sorry to hear this happened!

But DON'T go to Ford. Don't even talk to them.
Call Hypermax or BTS or Wide Open Performance and explain your situation. I know you already started building up your engine up for more power. Might as well just get them to send you the right parts and do a rebuild on what you have left. You have done lots of work to it already.

You can get the non PM rods from them, and everything else you need.

Bean

Reaction score
BigPlug on TDS threw PMR and was lookin for a replacemnet engine. He bought a 00 low mileage engine, I installed it and made it 450+hp for about the same amount that Ford wanted to put in a reman engine.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly what bean said.

Give it to someone like him and get it built.

What would you want a reman for?

If you blew a trans, the last thing you'd want is another stock trans, better off with a BTS, ATS, etc.