Hmmm....turbine housing a/r's...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Mine has .70 A/R stamped on it, is this not factory? its a 1994.

Yes, .70 A/R is factory compressor size. The compressor is the intake side, these guys are refering to the exhaust side of things.

Might wanna find a .75 A/R turbine housing or there abouts, it might be a good compremise.

4play

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my 94 i cant see me changing anything cause it builds boost rather quick, just like running through the gears, and its hits 15psi almost in 2nd, and does in 3rd then 4th. but if you want more than that then i would modify it. not for me i am happy with that. i hit 15 always no matter the gear at h-way speed. i dont think an idi needs more.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
on my 94 i cant see me changing anything cause it builds boost rather quick, just like running through the gears, and its hits 15psi almost in 2nd, and does in 3rd then 4th. but if you want more than that then i would modify it. not for me i am happy with that. i hit 15 always no matter the gear at h-way speed. i dont think an idi needs more.

I would modify it for those boost levels. That turbo was designed to push 5-6psi of boost, and your pushing basically 3x that. That little turbo is super heating the air at that boost, so you really arent seeing any increased performance over say 12psi of boost.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh....a T04B cold side should be able to EASILY do 12-15 psi. That's really not a little turbo. (though I still don't know the trim on that thing)

A T3 is a lot smaller and it'll do 15-17 psi all day without superheating the air.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Eh....a T04B cold side should be able to EASILY do 12-15 psi. That's really not a little turbo. (though I still don't know the trim on that thing)

A T3 is a lot smaller and it'll do 15-17 psi all day without superheating the air.

I've heard differntly from Russ and he seems to know his stuff ;Sweet. Not saying your wrong, I'm just saying...

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I guess I stand corrected. I knew T04B's were inefficient but holy crap.

Did a little looking around and a little calculating, and looked at some compressor maps.

I hope we don't have an "S" trim compressor...which is wayyy outside of its efficiency range by 2000 RPM, even at 12 psi. Yikes.

Just from looking at some figures (and assuming a few things I don't know...like VE, and turbo discharge air temp), it looks to me like these engines would be happiest with a rather large turbo. I always forget about the volume of air 444 cubic inches can move, even at 1500 RPM.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got Russ to order me a larger compressor side for my turbo. I'll let you know how it works out, but he did a similar mod on his truck (093 turbo) and it worked very well according to everyone thats been in it. I think its the 60-1 Hi-Fi compressor in this list:

http://www.turbocharged.com/catalog/comp_wheels.html

It will still be a little while before I get it, but I can hardly wait to try it out-Flame Thr

Should flow nice considering the larger turbine on the 088.

EDIT: forgot to mention, My current compressor is the H trim on that list.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we demand some :peelout vids

I really need to do some 0-60 run times with it while I'm at it. The most recent test was about 15 seconds up a 4% grade (first 1/4 was flat, then the rest up a gentile hill). I've just been too lazy to find a good, flat stretch of open road for a proper test.

Not sure if I can kick the tires loose with 3.08s, but I guess I could use low range if not....I think I'll put some of the older tires on for that. Just put a $600+ set on this summer.

I'll just be glad to produce more than 3 PSI at 1500 RPM.

mark huff

Reaction score
I hit 19 psi of boost on my 6.9 i am about to go back to the ar .63 housen i have the 82 on it now

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, this looks like a really old topic, but...
I've had a Banks Sidewinder (TE-06H) for quite a while. This turbo was pretty responsive and handled just fine, but wasn't good for more than about 15 PSI.
Once I got enough fuel to use all of that with a 110 CC pump, I managed to push 20 PSI out of it... but with absolutely insane backpressure. And it really didn't gain much power compared to when I wasn't maxing it out.

I finally upgraded to an S360 turbo with a .83 T3 housing on it. It... was a total dog. Just didn't really want to spool, and I could get /maby/ 10 psi out of it. It worked, but was nowhere near optimal.
Finally swapped out the exhaust housing for a .63 T3 housing... what a difference that made! It spooled great, cleaned up all the fuel my 110 CC pump could throw at it, and I hit 30 PSI without much trouble, and it didn't /feel/ like the turbo was having to work hard.

So... I'm convinced that for these engines, a small AR is important. If you need more flow, go with a larger diameter turbo, but keep a small AR.