High Mileage Oil

OutofOrder

Reaction score
Is there much of a benefit using an oil labled high mileage as opposed to the regular oil, such as Pennzoil high mileage vs. regular pennzoil?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
OutofOrder said:
Is there much of a benefit using an oil labled high mileage as opposed to the regular oil, such as Pennzoil high mileage vs. regular pennzoil?

If both are dino oil, IMO no. If the high mileage oil is synthetic...then maybe. Synthetic oil keeps the soot in suspension better than dino oil does. That's why it's used for longer change intervals.

OutofOrder

Reaction score
What do you mean by "dino oil?" I'm just looking for an oil for my little car

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
OutofOrder said:
What do you mean by "dino oil?" I'm just looking for an oil for my little car

Dino is dinosaur oil. cookoo I didn't make this up...trust me...:D

OutofOrder

Reaction score
so what type of oil would you suggest for a 4 cylinder chevy s-10? would i just be wasting my money buying the high mileage oil?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
OutofOrder said:
so what type of oil would you suggest for a 4 cylinder chevy s-10? would i just be wasting my money buying the high mileage oil?

****** olive oil... :eek:
Seriously, as long as you use the proper oil weight for your S-10 and it's a well known brand...don't worry...be happy... ;Sweet

Last edited:

OutofOrder

Reaction score
I know, I know, not much of a truck. it's a work in progress

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I don't think anyone knows exactly what high milage oil is. It is probably regular oil with a premium price.
Whatever it is it is alleged to slow oil consumption somehow. The way I see it is any chemical added to oil is less room for actual oil!
Good Luck
Ken

OutofOrder

Reaction score
Good point Ken. I'm interested in a f-250 turbo diesel, but really don't need anything quite that big. I think the old lady would rather me get an suv. Know anything about the diesel engines in the jeep liberty?

Bubba

Reaction score
I listen to a radio show every weekend that is hosted by a well respected local shop owner who endorses the use of the high mileage oils and/or certain additives (RESTORE) in older vehicles. He says they help to soften up hardened seals so that they do a better job of keeping the oil where it is supposed to be thereby reducing consumption or leakage. By all means not a cure all wonder treatment but something to try before taking more drastic measures. I personally haven't had any experience to say whether it works or not, but I suspect my son's Crown Vic is leaking oil past the valve stem seals and he used the high mileage stuff on his last oil change. Hopefully we will see some positive results.
Bubba

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Me personally, I run High Mileage oil and a can of Restore every change in my K1500. Must be doing something, 221,000 miles and runs like new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online