High altitude N/A performance.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a Banks Sidewinder kit on my '88 in a weekend, with hand tools. At the time, I had no impact wrenches or other cool stuff.
It's really not a big deal - follow the instructions, put it together.
The only interesting bit is that there is a specific spot on the cab pinch weld, above the transmission that you cut in two places with a sawzall, and fold flat with a wrench for extra clearance. Otherwise, it's just stuff like unbolting the exhaust, installing the new exhaust pieces. Nothing hard or complex really.

I'd recommend downloading the install guide for the Banks kit, and reading it.

Really, the only way you are going to improve things is by adding a turbo. It scared me a lot too originally - now, I don't drive an IDI without a turbo -- the extra power is just plain awesome.
Oh, and it sounds better, too!

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How fast would that tank run out @austin92
That would greatly depend on how it’s set up. On a NA engine manually activated unloaded 10 gallons could last 5k miles. The setup I plan to run will be 2-3 stages adding up to roughly 200ml. I’ll probably set my wastegate to 8-9psi (6.9 without studs) and have the water **** come on at about 4psi and peak when the waste gate opens. Shooting for 10 gallons of washer fluid to last 400-600 miles towing and 1000+ unloaded. Supertech washer fluid is like 20% methanol and 1.75$/gallon. Should be less than 9$ per tank of fuel(19gal) towing. You can add power with the yellow bottles of Heet or snow performance’s boost juice but that adds to cost and doesn’t control egts any better. Since nothing is installed yet this is just hypothetical and expectations but I’ve done a lot of reading and don’t think I’m too far off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My 87 NA 6.9 (not towing) only really had problems at 9,000-10,000 feet. Once I got back down to 8500 or lower, it was ok again. At 10k, it wouldn't hardly restart if shut off. It wouldn't stall, it would keep on truckin', but shutting it off was a really bad idea.

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my factory turbo kit in my driveway with basic hand tools. Took me a weekend would have went faster but multiple trips to parts store and had trouble fitting my up pipes

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Its for no small reason that virtually every successful WW2 fighter had some kind of forced induction to deal with high altitude power loss. This is not a new concept to internal combustion engines. We aren't flying up to 40 000 ft, but anything you do to try and improve performance will pale compared to adding a turbocharger.

If you're concerned about not being mechanically inclined or equipped, remember that these kits were pitched primarily at dealers and end users for these trucks. It can certainly be done by someone with only moderate mechanical skills. Once you have a turbocharger, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

I would also suggest installing an EGT gauge right now if you haven't already. Rolling coal like that can run your exhaust temperature up. Don't be afraid to gear down either.

MrStretch

Reaction score
Just missed a parts truck with a banks kit on it. Someone on this forum probably got to it before I did. In Redding, Ca.

Are the R and D kits superior to the Banks? I’ve heard parts are hard to find for the Banks.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just missed a parts truck with a banks kit on it. Someone on this forum probably got to it before I did. In Redding, Ca.

Are the R and D kits superior to the Banks? I’ve heard parts are hard to find for the Banks.
The R&D kit is the best turbo kit you can buy for an idi right now

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The R&D kit is the best turbo kit you can buy for an idi right now
Basically, if you are planning on buying new, totally go for the R&D. No questions.

If you are like me and can't afford a new kit, well... Banks, ATS and Hypermax kits are "out there", on rigs and in JYs. They are available relatively cheap usually, too.

MrStretch

Reaction score
Basically, if you are planning on buying new, totally go for the R&D. No questions.

If you are like me and can't afford a new kit, well... Banks, ATS and Hypermax kits are "out there", on rigs and in JYs. They are available relatively cheap usually, too.

I’ve missed two parts trucks with banks setups in the last couple days. Is an engine with a Banks sidewinder superior to a stock turbo?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve missed two parts trucks with banks setups in the last couple days. Is an engine with a Banks sidewinder superior to a stock turbo?
If it's a wastegated sidewinder, yes. Like I said, I've had much better performance and quicker spool out of them. Top end is similar, but the Banks does better mid-range.

The factory turbo setups can be improved though - WW2 will give it a bit better spool and PSI; Typ4 can fix the crushed downpipe problem etc.
If you already have a factory turbo, put money into improving it. If you don't have anything though... used Banks kit is nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online