High altitude N/A performance.

MrStretch

Reaction score
I’m a GC that tows a ~5k car hauler full of tools with my 92 CC. Everyone told me before I bought it that I would be disappointed and it is somewhat true. My question is what can be done to tune my IDI to run best at 5-6k ft without going straight for a turbo? I’m not much of a mechanic and am not ready to tackle a turbo kit just yet.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Stanadyne actually made IPs for high altitude, perhaps someone here will be able to provide one. Or try Conestoga Diesel. They rebuild and modify IPs for the idi.

I took mine to 5000+ feet a month ago and had no issues, but was not towing anything.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s not a lot you can do for a na engine at any altitude. Larger exhaust, clean air filter, proper timing. There’s a few cams but they don’t make a huge difference. I know you said you’re not ready for a turbo but I think that’s the only way you’ll be happy with your trucks performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Larger exhaust, clean air filter, proper timing. There’s a few cams ... I know you said you’re not ready for a turbo but I think that’s the only way you’ll be happy with your trucks performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Stanadyne actually made IPs for high altitude,... try Conestoga Diesel.

These are good suggestions. Several companies have made better exhausts for the NA IDI's, Stan's Headers makes a set for the IDI as well. Torque cam available through typ4 here was originally developed to help NA logging trucks have more power. Proper timing and IP calibration would be good as well. Mel at Conestoga Diesel would be able to fix you up.

But, like the others have said, a turbo would make a world of difference and after you spend the money on exhaust, IP, and/or cam, you would be close to the cost of a new turbo kit.

Heath

gandalf

Reaction score
I'll have to agree with all the above. The best solution for altitude is a turbo.

Not too long ago I had to clear out an aunt's apartment in Reno. I hauled the largest UHaul trailer over Donner Pass with my '92 CCLB Dually, NA. The altitude didn't effect the truck as much as I feared, but I did lay down a smoke screen. My truck is set up to run at sea level, feeding the engine the proper amount of fuel for 0 altitude. Donner Pass is 7000 feet, and the truck was way over-fueled there. My exhaust would have made some young kid proud.

You must be registered for see images attach

The video is better, offers a better idea of what it was like.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need cold air in and to help get the hot air out to lower egts. A proper exhaust for an na engine will help tremendously. As will a cold air intake. You’ll want a better exhaust for turbo anyways, so doing the exhaust now is a no brainer, something else not mentioned is a water **** setup, when done correctly this can make as much towing difference as a turbo, but obviously at the cost of expendable water **** mixture or windshield washer fluid.

MrStretch

Reaction score
Not too long ago I had to clear out an aunt's apartment in Reno. I hauled the largest UHaul trailer over Donner Pass with my '92 CCLB Dually, NA. The altitude didn't effect the truck as much as I feared, but I did lay down a smoke screen. My truck is set up to run at sea level, feeding the engine the proper amount of fuel for 0 altitude. Donner Pass is 7000 feet, and the truck was way over-fueled there. My exhaust would have made some young kid proud.

That’s literally what my truck looks like pulling any kind of pass even empty unless I downshift and poke along at 35. I bought my truck out of Portland so it is setup for sea level as well.

MrStretch

Reaction score
You need cold air in and to help get the hot air out to lower egts. A proper exhaust for an na engine will help tremendously. As will a cold air intake. You’ll want a better exhaust for turbo anyways, so doing the exhaust now is a no brainer, something else not mentioned is a water **** setup, when done correctly this can make as much towing difference as a turbo, but obviously at the cost of expendable water **** mixture or windshield washer fluid.

I will have to research water ****. I’m more tempted to buy a second IDI with a turbo than attempt to install a turbo on my existing truck. Just not sure I’m enough of a mechanic to own two 25+ yo trucks.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about suggesting water **** but I figured with no turbo, it’d probably be a custom setup and manually activated. I want to run water **** for egt control but it will add a little power too. I think I’m going to run mostly prometh components with a snow performance 10gal truck bed tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I towed many trailers with my n/a 1992 and it really didn't like hills or altitude. When I towed a car hauler it was literally third gear 3/4 throttle or better on some steep legs of most passes. It really didn't really hurt anything. Well maybe my ego....nope. It was unloaded most of the time so the occasional slow tow was fine with me.

I can tell you that a turbo will make towing a completely different game. Although I don't really love my Powderchoke, when towing at altitude it's really hard to compare the two as the performance is really night and day versus my old IDI.

All the other stuff will help marginally: a turbo will change your truck majorly at altitude.

Tough decision ahead of you, but you'll be fine whether you keep your rig set up as "Smokey" :smoke: or turn her into "Little Whistle" :peelout

:popcorn

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Propane would help a lot for cheap w/o turbo but it will warm it up.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the previous suggestions these motors are big air pumps so more air in and more air out = more fuel able to be burnt =more power . Wes had a good point some water/**** would give it a bump of power and if your concerned about putting a turbo on there are people on here 24/7 and they are always willing to help and a bolt on turbo kit is a pretty easy puzzle and comes with instructions

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove ours through mammoth,ca. About 8000 ft. I was not loaded. Power seemed to be the same but I fumigated every intersection without trying.i was certain that the libtards in the area were ready to hang me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac