Help, stuck in a parking lot

Truv

Reaction score
Hi all I'm way new but have heard a lot of good things about this forum. I have an old uhaul 7.3l idi with a spicer 5 speed. The clutch pedal just fell to the floor when I was shifting and I can't shift it in or out of gear unless I really force it. I'm trying to adjust the linkage now in hopes to limp myself to a trans shop as its Sunday and most everyone is closed.

Any thoughts as to what it might be?

I'm really hoping its just out of adjustment and not the clutch or throw out bearing.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spicer or ZF 5 spd?

You know how to rev-match shift?

add brake fluid to clutch reservoir first, may have sucked air, then try pushing/pulling your pedal with your hand. to get most the bubbles out.

Truv

Reaction score
So what it seems to be doing is not engaging the clutch at all. I can with the engine running feel the gears grind as they try to make up in reverse and 1st. I've heard of rpm shifting with out using a clutch but haven't done it very often.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
is it cable or mechanical linkage or hydro. if cable, it might of snapped.
if mechanical, it came apart somewhere.

Truv

Reaction score
It's mechanical, but the linkage is intact. I have been adjusting the play out on the pedal in hopes that it will start working. I've pulled the shifting boot but not certain where the full port is for it.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
So, if you put it in first gear and start the truck with the clutch pedal to the floor, it starts rolling immediately, is this correct?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Clutch fork must have come off the pivot inside the bell housing then if all the linkage is in tact. I wasn't sure if it wouldn't pull itself in gear with clutch engaged or you couldn't disengage the clutch. Do you have someone to push the clutch pedal while you watch underneath?

Truv

Reaction score
Yes my darling wife has been tapping her foot and pushing the clutch pedal for me. The linkage seems to be moving just fine.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have your other wife, see if the linkage moves inside the bell.

(Just kidding, but you know, Utah)

Basically as others have said, sounds like the clutch lever simply came off its ball. You have a good flashlight to shine inside the bell past the rubber boot? See if you see a shiny ball thats not attached to anything in there.

Truv

Reaction score
:dunno I know where the inspection plate is on the bottom of the bell housing, would that work to see the "shiny ball" you are referring too?

And yes my location tag says Utah but I don't know how someone could survive more than one wife at a time, lol. Currently I'm broke down in Tacoma, Wa.

Truv

Reaction score
But does anyone know where the fill port is on these spicer transmissions? I've heard they are accessed by removing the shifting boot but I don't see the port anywhere.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hold on you say it's an old UHAUL...what size truck are you dealing with here? Model and so forth.

Can you look in to where the clutch fork goes into the transmission? If so does the fork appear intact?

Can you see a throwout bearing?

You have made certain from pedal to fork all linkages are functioning correctly right?

I am guessing a broken clutch fork myself.

Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle