HELP? Oil everywhere.

rocketattack

Reaction score
Was just going down highway and noticed my truck started making a huffing noise. Pulled over and checked the gauges. The oil pressure needle swung up above the L! NOT GOOD. I then stopped the truck and shut the engine down. I checked the oil level and the tip of the stick was dry. Uh oh, where did my oil go. I stopped on an off ramp and was but but a few hundredruck and it seemed to run fine. I then proceeded to go down the highway when I heard the huffing again. yards from a WalMart. I bought 2 glns. And poured it all in. I started the truck and began driving it down the highway. I got it upto 75mph and started hearing the huffing. I pulled over at the next gas station. When I got out noticed black spots all over the driverside. I realized it was oil! I opened the hood and pil is everywhere. I noticed it was coming from the radiator overfill bottle. This engine has 112,000 original miles on it. Could the oil cooler have something to with this? Could I just replace it, wash out the oil from the radiator system, refill with coolant or is this engine done?

rocketattack

Reaction score
Wow! I didn't know the coolant system needed to get lubed every once in awhile. LOL So I can wash out the oil from the coolant system? If so what do I use?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Cascade dish soap (liquid) will work. It may take a few rinse and hot/cold cycles to wash it out so just buy the cheapest coolant you can find until you finished flushing it.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do an oil cooler search here and you'll find a complete thread on repairing it and where to get the parts, basically a bunch of o-rings but the removal and reassembly can be tough. Russ (type4) may have the orings, PM him.

Good luck.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
orings will be ford or IH only, parts store wont have them. they can also be found online.

i have a thread in the tech section on rebuilding your oil cooler.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have never torn into a cooler before on a idi. Are the orings in a oil bath? or are they lubed by oil? In a bind, could I guy through some real thick oil in to get to where hes is going while slowing the leak a bit? Seems like rocketattack is nowhere near home nor are many of us during such a failure

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron