HELP? Oil everywhere.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its easy. Just messy and ******* the temper. I was shopping for a new motor when the guys here lead me to the oil cooler. I did this two months ago. Flushing the oil from the cooling system was the hardest part. Still working on it but im paranoid.

tips from my session:
Keep the lower rad hose off until the cooler is back on.
Make sure to get ALL the old gasket material off (learned this the hard way and installed my cooler twice)
Get the gaskets from Vato Zone. The rings as mentioned you must get from Ford or Typ4 apparently.
When flushing the radiator I hooked a hose to my hot water heater.

rocketattack

Reaction score
Bignastystacks - that's a great idea to get hot water to wash out the oil. I have to find my drain on my water heater and use that. Thanks for the idea.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any oil thats left in the coolig system wiil collect in the coolant recovery tank. Then its easy to dump that and your home free. As the engine coolant heats and cools the oil will collect at the top of the radiator tank. then as it heats up the oily coolant is pushed over to the recovery tank because of fluid expansion. The oil floats so it will be on top of the recovery tank coolant. Just watch that the recovery tank does not run low or its gonnas suck the oily mess right back into the cooling system again.

rocketattack

Reaction score
I finally got a good weekend to deal with my oil cooler. I just pulled the drain plug and clean antifreeze came out of my oil pan!!! There has to be about 2 gallons of this stuff. The oil filter even had antifreeze in it when that wqs taken off. I drove this truck for about 60 miles with this problem before I realized what had happened. I have always been told on gas engines if coolant gets into the oil the engine is done and needs a rebuild, as the coolant eats at the bearings. Are these 7.3lL bearings tougher then that?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too excited about rebuilding the engine until it is apparent and needed. An oil cooler failure will allow coolant into the oil since the coolant is usually at higher pressure than the oil, but your story makes it sound as if this is a recent issue and you have not tried to lubricate your engine with glycol for any length of time. Rebuild the oil cooler, change oil and flush the cooling system (you can use plain water for the flushing, just don't run the engine too long without coolant. You don't want to experience the joys of cavitation).

Yes, these engines are pretty tough and will forgive a multitude of operator errors or mechanical failures. They don't even complain too much when some of the oilburners pump twice as much air and fuel into them as they are expecting.

rocketattack

Reaction score
what coolant should I use and do I have to use the specified coolant additive FW-15? will the green autozone antifreeze be sufficient ?

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have allot of experience with these trucks but I got mine with a blown oil cooler and oil in the coolant reservoir. I could clean it out, drive for a day and then see some oil collect at the top of the radiator again.

I never saw coolant in the oil though and I haven't seen it on any junkyard truck I pulled the oil coolers from that had fused together, cracked orings like mine were?

rocketattack

Reaction score
Ok cooler is remounted but I can't find a torque spec for the bolts. I have an account with Alldatadiy.com but It doesn't state anything. I also have the Haynes manual and it says nothing. Anyone know the torque specs for the oil cooler?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I think it is 15-20 lbs/ft. They are only 5/16 inch bolts, don't over do it.

rocketattack

Reaction score
I dropped my radiator of at a shop on Thursday. I spoke with radiator shop this morning. The tech said it is still clogged and still spewing oil. They will keep it in the solvent and to call back tomorrow afternoon. This makes me thing about the engine. I put a hose down the top engine outlet and let the water flow. All the water came gushing back out, none of it came out the other pipe underneath the power steering. I filled the outlet and it has not went down all night. Could the block be plugged? And how can this be fixed. Should I put the cleaned radiator in, fill with soapy water and let it run until warmed up, then drain?

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you put water in the top radiator hose with the thermostat still installed then the water won't make it into the block. To flush the block out you need to remove the thermostat, or heat your water above the temperature at which the thermostat opens.

rocketattack

Reaction score
Holy cow! I can't believe I forgot about the thermostat! Maybe I should just put down the tools and slowly back away? I'll pick up a new t-stat tonight and pull the old out so I can flush it better. I guess my water wasn't hot enough. I had it coming directly from my hot water tank.

rocketattack

Reaction score
Holy cow! I can't believe I forgot about the thermostat! Maybe I should just put down the tools and slowly back away? I'll pick up a new t-stat tonight and pull the old out so I can flush it better. I guess my water wasn't hot enough. I had it coming directly from my hot water tank.