HELP HELP! DT466 injector question.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DT466 injector question.

I am my way back from TN to CA. I am in Albuquerque, NM right now at a Flying J. Climbing up the hills, there seemed to be a vibration when I gave it peddle. As I crested a hill and started to go down hill, everything smoothed out without a load. I am in a 1997 Intl school bus with a DT466 with mechanical injection. I stated to run things through my head of what might be causing this. One thought was a failing or bad injector. I went and bought a lazer pointer thermometer and checked each exhaust port. There is a differential of up to 80-90 degrees. Furthest forward was 180-190* and forth back was 270*. This doesn't look good, right. Let me know what you guys think. I still have a long ways to get home. Thanks.

ETA, I removed the help, help from the title since this was a year ago and now when I look at it, it looks stupid.

Last edited:

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try the pointer on the injectors. If the hottest injector matches up with the coolest exhaust, I would think you found the bad one. IMHO

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called a place in Stockton to leave a message and the owner answered the phone. I ran down everything I thought and knew so he could get an idea. He told me he didn't trust those laser thermometers. We went over a bunch of stuff and I am not in as much of a panic anymore. Brain is a bit scattered right now. I want to get cleaned up and back on the road. I think and hope that my fears of injection problems have been put to rest. Thank you for responding. I was a little worried being so far from home and trying to get it fixed on a Sunday. The problem still needs to be diagnosed but not in a crisis manner.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel problem to me, could be injector. Seems like you feel low on power too though if it was. Is the idle smooth? I'd think an injector problem would show up at idle too.

Not sure on your temps, are you saying the front is 190 and the rear 270 and the other between that? Or is there one really hot one and the rest about the same? Or all all kinda random. One thing to remember if the the front of the manifold gets the most cooling air flow, so I'd expect it to be a fair bit cooler than the rest, probably with some sort of a linear-ish increase going aft.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much help at all, but I am very curious, did you purchase this Bus In TN, perhaps from a craigslist ad? I saw a guy had a bunch of busses 95-98 year models with DT466's. His prices are reasonable, I'm thinking about going down and seeing what he had, if I am correctly assuming and you did just purchase this thing, message me please, I'd like to know what the guy had etc.

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much help at all, but I am very curious, did you purchase this Bus In TN, perhaps from a craigslist ad? I saw a guy had a bunch of busses 95-98 year models with DT466's. His prices are reasonable, I'm thinking about going down and seeing what he had, if I am correctly assuming and you did just purchase this thing, message me please, I'd like to know what the guy had etc.

This thread was started 07/01/12

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mehhh, Same thing 07/01/12 7/01/13 close enough LOL even though it's not even July yet... Thanks, I didn't notice the year, I actually did look at the date, as I thought, hey whats the coincidence, a guy drove all the way to CA from TN with the same year and type bus I saw several of which posted on CL about amonth ago LOL Didn't even register with me that it's not even July yet

Last edited:

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can a moderator move this to the medium truck section. I don't want this to keep getting bumped in the 911 section.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Mr. Moderator for moving my thread. I will follow up with answers to some of the questions asked when I have a little time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7