HELP HELP! DT466 injector question.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much help at all, but I am very curious, did you purchase this Bus In TN, perhaps from a craigslist ad? I saw a guy had a bunch of busses 95-98 year models with DT466's. His prices are reasonable, I'm thinking about going down and seeing what he had, if I am correctly assuming and you did just purchase this thing, message me please, I'd like to know what the guy had etc.

I did buy the bus in TN. I bought it from a school district directly thru an online auction. This was a year ago now. I'm not sure about the guy on craigslist but I would have preferred to look at buses instead of buying something sight unseen. If you are looking for a mechanical injection, the 1998 is a DT466E.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
I did buy the bus in TN. ...... ....... . .......... If you are looking for a mechanical injection, the 1998 is a DT466E.
Mechanical ended in 97's model year, but the 466E started in late 95.
DT466C(77-93)
DT466P(NGD)(93-97)
DT466E(95-04)
DT466(04.5-08)(EGR equipped)
MAxxforce7(08-13)

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dale. I'm going to be buying you lunch and some beer after I swap the trans. I want to do a little massaging on that IP.:sly

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Thats fine, especially if you're in SF. I can bring a grinder, and we can make a good fuel plate.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
OH! sorry, I didnt realize it. Then for sure it needs help! My hands have been way too clean the past few months. I'm itching to play with a pump.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to wait until I do the trans swap. I'm afraid I will grenade my trans if I turn up the pump before.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some of you have been staying awake at nights wondering what happened on that trip a year ago. It started with me going to the birthplace of the ***, Pulaski, TN to pick up my bus. The bus was new to me so there was a learning curve. I came back on I40. When I hit the hills, I found out about my hatred for the AT545 pile of crap non-lockup transmission. There was never anything wrong with my injectors. More to follow.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some of you have been staying awake at nights wondering what happened on that trip a year ago. It started with me going to the birthplace of the ***, Pulaski, TN to pick up my bus. The bus was new to me so there was a learning curve. I came back on I40. When I hit the hills, I found out about my hatred for the AT545 pile of crap non-lockup transmission. There was never anything wrong with my injectors. Several factors played into this story.

1. The temperatures coming across country were never less than 100*.
2. The temps inside the bus were at least 25* warmer than outside. I had every window down and the front door open.
3. My brain was fried. I was pouring water on my head and in my shoes trying to cool off.
4. I was trying to conserve fuel and keep the engine noise down by driving 50-55.
5. Not known to me was how much the TC slips when I went up any hills or grades.
6. Also not known to me was the front tires being out of balance. The left tire was way out of balance.
7. So now I get to the point of the story, FINALLY. When I was climbing hills, I was going about 45 mph with the rpms increasing by 500 rpms. This increase the engine noise big time. 45 mph is also the sweet spot for major vibration from out of balance wheels. I was pulling long grades with my brain cooking, the trans slipping because of the added load of hill climbing, the increased engine noise, wheel vibration, and long times for my brain to wander speculating why my bus wasn't driving like a Lincoln Town Car. This is why I started to panic thing one of the injectors was causing a problem. That's when I bought the infrared temp thingy which made me even more concerned that something was wrong. I hope this explains where my mind was at the time.

Remember, a mind is terrible thing to waste.:idiot:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online