Help hanging a clutch pedal in a 1993 van...

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
For some reason I can't seem to attach a photo, but I got a van with a squishey transmission and want to drop in a 5 speed, my understanding is that all vans are the same and the 1992 change was just a skin replacement, the windshield looks similar to my 86 van, standard transmission vans seem rare but I'm looking for a good way to hang that all important clutch pedal, I don't believe late vans ever had a standard transmission, perhaps this will be a first.

If it helps it started as a cab and chassis with the ambulance package and a hundred thousand dollar box on the back...still has the box in good shape.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Interesting, NapaBavarian. Have pondered putting a ZF5 in my '92, if my E4OD gives me trouble (hasn't yet....)

Nothing useful to share, other than I'd like to know what you find out.

As far as I remember, manuals were only in the 150s way back, so I wonder if those parts would be strong enough for the kind of clutch an IDI would need?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Standard vans aren't rare to me in my van photo file :D

1981 4 speed
You must be registered for see images attach

1980 4 speed

1988 5 speed

I have a ton more, but just to give an idea :D

Now if you do go 5 speed, you will need to make a hole in the doghouse like in the last pic, cause that's where the shifter will be.

And the 1992+ vans, everything was changed, so a 78-91 pedal assembly will not work. So your on your own to custom make one.

If you do end up doing this, be SURE to make a write up on it, I'd be very interested to see this! I do plan on a 4 speed or 5 speed in my '85 E350 6.9 van if the C6 ever gives out.... ZF5 sure would be nicer with the 4.10's than the C6 anyways. lol

Luckly for me, I have all the parts to swap an older van to standard, I have the standard steering column, clutch/brake pedal assembly (mechanical linkages though), and I even have the engine and tranny, and tranny cross member from the van. 300 straight 6, RUG 3 speed with OD.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
As if this isn't enough...how am I going to get the transfer case linkage through? Electronic operated? We'll see... I'll drag the van to the driveway soon so I can get a better look.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I compared the pedal assembelies in my 86 and my 93, while the bracket is different the pedal appears to be the same, so I may be off to pick-n-pull to look for an entire standard transmission bracket and pedal assembly to modify for my newer van, I just ordered an overhaul kit for the automatic so I can drive it and work on the living quarters, I have my hands full right now diging out the shop for a real concrete floor before winter.

idi_man

rookie
Reaction score
Im installing a zf5 in my 89 7.3 van as well. Did you ever fi d the clutch pedal assembly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online