Heat wrap

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine have been wrapped for two years now, and I live in Alaska with long winters. No rot. Think about it, the temps are 600 going down the road and 1200 max... where is the moisture you speak of? I also wrapped the down pipe aways, helps keep temps up and exhaust moving.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
What brand wrap is everyone using? Ive always heard they will rot, but never really put much thought into it beings the water would evaporate that would get into the wrap correct because of the heat? I have that turbo on my truck now and who ever is my passenger is always nagging about the heat from the floor boards!

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
header manufacturers and racers will tell you. wrap kills steel.

on my little car i put wrap on my stainless headers 2 years ago. 10 months later the collector broke all of it's welds. i had the thing tig'd back together and didn't put the wrap back on. it's been fine since (14 months). the header was 5 years old when i put the wrap on. the wrap was 4 layers thick on one side of the collector do to the header shape.

o and oil that has leaked onto the wrap will soak in. and if you get a flame in the engine bay it will find that oil. i've seen the difference first had between automatic trans fluid leaking on to a wrapped and un-wrapped exhaust system. there is a lot more fire with the wrapped system.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
o and oil that has leaked onto the wrap will soak in. and if you get a flame in the engine bay it will find that oil. i've seen the difference first had between automatic trans fluid leaking on to a wrapped and un-wrapped exhaust system. there is a lot more fire with the wrapped system.

Not to argue, but how can that happen???:dunno Seriously, I can pull the truck in the driveway after a drive, craw under it and hold my hand on the cross over pipe without getting burned (with a single layer of wrap). The heat stays in the pipe. I don't know the flash point of trans fluid or 15W-40 oil, but I sure as heck know it's higher than the temp required to burn my skin. If the truck is on fire, then yeah, the wrap will burn. But a spontaneous fire from oil being on the wrap doesn't make sence. If the truck is leaking so much combustable fluid to become a fire hazard, it shouldn't be on the road....... wrap or not.

Heath

Last edited:

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to argue, but how can that happen???:dunno Seriously, I can pull the truck in the driveway after a drive, craw under it and hold my hand on the cross over pipe without getting burned (with a single layer of wrap). The heat stays in the pipe. I don't know the flash point of trans fluid or 15W-40 oil, but I sure as heck know it's higher than the temp required to burn my skin. If the truck is on fire, then yeah, the wrap will burn. But a spontaneous fire from oil being on the wrap doesn't make sence. If the truck is leaking so much combustable fluid to become a fire hazard, it shouldn't be on the road....... wrap or not.

Heath

none of those fires were on road trucks. they were all offroad under abnormal conditions. think both front wheels off the ground, hitting the rev limiter, old automatic trans. or engine and radiator covered in mud, 2* away from blowing radiator hoses off, old automatic trans. it's usually attributed to fluid puking out of the breather and onto the headers. it could have been fuel or something else burning but both times the consensus was that the transmission fluid on the headers had caused the fire. :dunno

you are a braver man than me. i've never had the balls to touch header wrap after an engine has been running for a wile.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
none of those fires were on road trucks. they were all offroad under abnormal conditions. think both front wheels off the ground, hitting the rev limiter, old automatic trans. or engine and radiator covered in mud, 2* away from blowing radiator hoses off, old automatic trans. it's usually attributed to fluid puking out of the breather and onto the headers. it could have been fuel or something else burning but both times the consensus was that the transmission fluid on the headers had caused the fire. :dunno

you are a braver man than me. i've never had the balls to touch header wrap after an engine has been running for a wile.

I've heard of several instances of people offroading and their cats lighting shrubs/grass on fire:dunno

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score

I have header wrap on the pipes of my bike so i dont burn the crap out of myself. Its cool to the touch.

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/design-engineering-inc/exhaust-wraps-accessories/exhaust-header-wrap-kits

The stuff i have always used, from the parts store (dei) said to seal it. I've seen a few instances where wrap wasn;t sealed and the exhaust had gotten wet but wasn't hot enough anymore to burn all the moisture off rapidly.

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the 2000 degree lava wrap at autozone and it said to apply dry and not spray it. A couple hose clamps and about 20 mins has my downpipe nice and cool. With the bonus of reduced underhood temps (the scooby has a top mounted intercooler)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm thinking seroiusly about doing this.. Gotta get more product info first.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use header wrap on the exhaust of my Harley. Been on there for about 3 years now. Harleys have a bad habit of puking oil out of the crankcase breathers after they have sat for a while, and mine is no exception. On my bike it dumps oil right on that exhaust wrap, only about 6" out of the front cylinder; the last time I started it after sitting, it dumped about a full quart of oil over the exhaust, soaking in to the wrap.
It hasn't caught on fire yet, but it smoked so damn bad this last time I had 2 neighbors come over to visit asking what was on fire in my driveway.
All of the discoloration under the air filter (big round thingy) is from years of soaking it in oil, then burning it off.

Attachments

• Picture 1321.jpg
    Picture 1321.jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 25

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have header wrap on the pipes of my bike so i dont burn the crap out of myself. Its cool to the touch.

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/design-engineering-inc/exhaust-wraps-accessories/exhaust-header-wrap-kits

The stuff i have always used, from the parts store (dei) said to seal it. I've seen a few instances where wrap wasn;t sealed and the exhaust had gotten wet but wasn't hot enough anymore to burn all the moisture off rapidly.

i was looking for a kit like that but counldt find one. so wound up just buying a roll and locking ties. oh well im happy with the end prouduct;Sweet

on a side not i realise its not really going to help performace but i think im going to wrap my downpipe anyway. it would atleast help under hood temps right:dunno

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
go for it gary. crazyasian posted a good link. or you could go to your local parts store and get a roll and ties like i i did. im more than satisfiyed with my setup;Sweet

well if you bought the same brand as the one in the link, you should seal the wrap. its recommended and comes with the kit if purchased as a kit.