Headlight weird issue.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No because the relay kit uses the existing wires as a signal to feed the relays.

Did you ever check the multifunction switch that does the high beam switching?
I thought it redid all the wiring for the headlights? No I haven't, where is that and how do I check it?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, on the 91 and older trucks it's a floor switch. I think in 92+ the high beam switch is on the steering column isn't it?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, on the 91 and older trucks it's a floor switch. I think in 92+ the high beam switch is on the steering column isn't it?
Ya it is. But how do I actually check it? Do I just look for any burnt up stuff? So the high beam switch is connected to the regular headlights?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you trying to differentiate high beams from regular headlights?
Same system. Same wiring. Same switch.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Idk. I guess I thought they were separate somehow. I know of course they're apart of the same system. I just don't understand how the high beams switch would affect the lowbeams being that's it's a totally different switch. But then again I don't know much about this at all and have never even seen the high beam switch on this truck.

retiredinhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"But then again I don't know much about this at all and have never even seen the high beam switch on this truck."
The"high beam switch" on your truck is the multi-function switch. Your 4-way flasher is part of same switch.
low beam wire is r/bk high is lg/bk

I am using the print for a 92 e/f series.

Last edited:

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you are troubleshooting electrical issues, the general approach is to start at the battery and work your way down to the device, checking for voltage at every step along the way. The problem is going to be somewhere between where you see the voltage and where you don't.

I don't have a schematic handy for your truck, but you can get them from Rock Auto. On the schematic, start at the headlights and trace your way back to the battery. Then, on the truck, start at the battery and check for voltage along that same path you traced on the schematic. Where you lose the voltage you find your problem. Check the wires going into each switch, then check the wires going out. Does the switch toggle the voltage?

From other's answers on here, it sounds as if your path is going to be battery to headlight switch, headlight switch to multi-function switch, multi-function switch to headlights.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you are troubleshooting electrical issues, the general approach is to start at the battery and work your way down to the device, checking for voltage at every step along the way. The problem is going to be somewhere between where you see the voltage and where you don't.

I don't have a schematic handy for your truck, but you can get them from Rock Auto. On the schematic, start at the headlights and trace your way back to the battery. Then, on the truck, start at the battery and check for voltage along that same path you traced on the schematic. Where you lose the voltage you find your problem. Check the wires going into each switch, then check the wires going out. Does the switch toggle the voltage?

From other's answers on here, it sounds as if your path is going to be battery to headlight switch, headlight switch to multi-function switch, multi-function switch to headlights.
Great info! So far I have power at the headlight switch, but not at the headlights themselves (checked with multimeter and grounded to battery negative.) So I know my problem is somewhere between the switch and headlights themselves. So I guess my question is; does power go directly from the headlight switch to the headlights? Or does it make a pitstop somewhere? I'm hoping the bronco graveyard kit will resolve the issue because.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"But then again I don't know much about this at all and have never even seen the high beam switch on this truck."
The"high beam switch" on your truck is the multi-function switch. Your 4-way flasher is part of same switch.
low beam wire is r/bk high is lg/bk

I am using the print for a 92 e/f series.
Oops didn't see this before I posted my previous reply. Ok so I need to check out the highbeam/multifunction switch.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I know my problem is somewhere between the switch and headlights themselves. So I guess my question is; does power go directly from the headlight switch to the headlights? Or does it make a pitstop somewhere?

It pretty much has to go through something after the headlight switch to switch between high and low beams, right? From what others have said, that's going to be your multi-function switch in the steering column. There is probably a connector under the dash you can back-probe to check that?

srmathers

Reaction score
@Thatoneguy - can you post pictures of the install of the switch and pigtail? I have the same truck as you (1994 CCab) and am also replacing the pigtail and switch...wanted to see how you got at them to change them out?