Headlight weird issue.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents, so recently my headlights started being screwy. Basically, if I just pull the knob out, I'll get dash lights and rear lights but no headlights. But if i start pushing the knob in and out I can find the "sweet spot" and get lights up front along with dash and rear. BUT, regular headlights don't come on at all, high beams do come on. So what I did as a temporary fix was just point my headlights down and run with high beams on. But now its getting to the point where I can find that "sweet spot" but after a little driving the headlights and dash lights start flashing. Not a great thing to have happen at night on an freeway with no street lights! I did the googleing and all I could find was people saying their wiring harness had melted and caused connection issues, but the fact that when I mess with the switch itself and can get it to work makes me think that isn't the case and the actual switch is the culprit. Is my logic sound? Or am I an idiot again? Thanks in advance.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
change out the headlight switch assy before your truck catches on fire. this is the #1 cause of death for our trucks. also, do pay attention to the connector plug and wiring adjacent to the switch.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
change out the headlight switch assy before your truck catches on fire. this is the #1 cause of death for our trucks. also, do pay attention to the connector plug and wiring adjacent to the switch.

Holy crap man! Lol. So forgive my ignorance... But this is what you're referring to, right?

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-S...ymm=1994:ford:f-350&keywords=headlight+switch

And can you clarify what you mean by the connector plug and wiring adjacent to the switch? Are you talking about the cluster of wires directly under the dash almost center that has whiteish plastic connectors? Sorry I'm bad with wording and understanding unless I can see it.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to set up toggle switches in place of this apparently problematic stock switch? Like one for dash/rear, one for headlights, and one for high beams? I dont care about keeping the dimmer, it can go. I only ask because I have a whole bunch of toggle switches I can use right now instead of having to wait for the stock switch to be delivered.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me clarify... I know you can wire in a toggle switch. But the write-up I have found takes away your high beam.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks towcat! I have some relays on hand... How difficult is it to install relays for high/low beams and use toggle switch? If I can avoid ordering a part that is known for failure, I would like to.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks towcat! I have some relays on hand... How difficult is it to install relays for high/low beams and use toggle switch? If I can avoid ordering a part that is known for failure, I would like to.

if you're doing relays, do it close to the light.
i went LED instead. low amp draw/****** oncoming off bad. :D

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What write up?
Simple, add relay harness, replace switch and pigtail.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Well you do make it sound simple. Idk if I just overthink it or what... Pigtail is the part that actually connects to the switch right?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. I ordered the kit from Bronco Graveyard. Plug and play. Look it up and you'll see how they did it

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think that one and lmc are the same kit. Order spare relays with it. They're a special kind. (Or lop them off and use normal relays lol)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm running the LMC Truck one in my 85, and it was a very simple and quick install. It was kind of like "Why was I ever worried about this? It was SO simple."

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online