Head studs in and heads stayed on

sassyrel

Reaction score
I don't see why it would be a problem. It is really not much different than a proper retorque procedure where after X amount of miles you first release the tension on the head bolt then re torque to spec. On a re torque you must release the tension on the bolt first or you will get a false reading on the torque wrench while breaking the tension loose on the bolt. You only get an accurate reading while the bolt is in motion, so for that I don't see a whole lot of difference. Only difference I do see is in the tightening procedure on the stud as in the 5 steps ditty not being followed. I'd be inclined to go back in there and go after those critters another 4 times to make sure the final clamping force is where it was intended to be, and I'd do it in sequence one step at a time to avoid cracking.

think about this guys----torque to yield headbolts,done any???? you torque to a certain pressure,let em off,i/e loose headgasket, then retorque them down, then 90 deg more, hows that any diff then letting them all loose, and putting studs in---WITHOUT moving the head?????? food for thought

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any update on these "replace one at a time" studs? Are the gaskets still good or did they spring a leak?

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I have never let the pressure off any torque to yield bolt. When its torqued, it yields (stretches) and that provides clamping force. relieving this pressure would stretch the bolt further on retorque, thereby yielding it useless in the application. TTY is use once, get it wrong and your replacing it.

punk

crash86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still running fine no problems and like sixbanger said 20psi