Head studs/ gaskets

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be cool. I figured that it would be better to keep the turbo. But all the guys helping me rebuild my motor say to get rid of it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be cool. I figured that it would be better to keep the turbo. But all the guys helping me rebuild my motor say to get rid of it.

No reason to get rid of the turbo if you like it. Your setup will make safe boost for the engine so no need to worry about that. It's a matter of what you expect out of the truck, how you drive it, & what you will tow with it.
Personally, I love the added power & lower egts with the turbo, but absolutely hate working on engine with it on. Makes simple maintenance tasks a pain in the ass but it's doable.

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the truth and actually I only had the truck for two weeks and ended up needing to rebuild the top end

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But I plan to use it as a daily and a work horse but not heavy duty work.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a reason every single Diesel engine in light duty trucks now have a turbo. They are more efficient and actually easier on the engine due to the lower egt's.

Keep it. Don't push the boost past the point the head gaskets with studs will handle. About 15 psi or so proven over millions of miles by many members here. It will be fine and much more pleasurable to drive.

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm going to reuse the head bolts if I can or get new ones I went way over budget

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I wouldn't reuse the head bolts that's asking for trouble that you don't need right now do it right do it once.

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So should I buy all new ones ?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a 6.9, definitely stud those cylinder heads onto block, n/a or turbo. I would feel much more comfortable reusing bolts on a 7.3 since they are much larger.

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem is I don't have the 200 bucks to buy the studs

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
If you have to reuse them then that's just how it's gotta be I totally get the on a budget. I have a set of 7.3 style rocker arms there yours free if you want them just pay shipping. I have a extra set a fellow member gave me a set and then I tore down my 6.9 and it had them already so let me know.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Also you still want that seporator? And I forget what else you needed text me a list and I'll check and see if I have it.

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need one of those too and if you can get me the cost on shipping I will gladly take those rockers !